Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a couple of peeps have similar projects at the mo but I wanted to document this and tackle a few problems in some detail - from the point of view of someone like me who has limited experience. Believe it or not before I owned the Skyline I had not so much as changed the oil on a car... :funny:

Five years later I've just about enough experience, equipment and money to tackle the turbo. Many of you are seasoned pros and this will seem straight forward but I have found it more than a little stressful.

However things are coming together so I thought it was a good time to start putting a thread together that will hopefully be of use to others.

I couldn't resist posting the pic below (13/07/10). Picked it up today from the welders - guts of the install nearly finished.

I'll do my best to build on this and make it more like a guide.... more soon :alco:

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
hi Benny its Ant - the guy you pm'd all the water feed/return information to. Massive massive thanks for all of that - its definitely going to help me when it comes to making up mine because I really dont want to half a$$ it tbh and would happily pay out £250 in oil n water lines if I know they're going to hold up and manage the job!
Make sure you post up the pics as you get them together - you seem alot further forward with mine... mine had to take a back step after the head needed to come off but now thats all sorted I hope to get it back on this coming week.

I'm subscribed to this thread so looking forward to seeing the pics of the water and oil lines again
cheers mate and good luck with your build :cheers:
ant

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I bolted up a lot of stuff today and the stupid oil feed line was about an inch short :crazy: Also need a new connector on the oil return to add a bit of angle to make that fit... quite honestly it would be a sight easier using cheap hose and jubilee clips.

Completed a bit more of the induction pipework though still some irritating little bits to do like relocate the sodding power steering fluid reservoir.

More work tomorrow... :shakehead:

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Hey ben nice work mate. With regards to pas fluid reservoir. Apparently gtr ones bolt at th front where th carbon canister thingy is.
Shame about th line being short I think it may be too short for mine too :/

Can you show me what you mean by th new connector for the oil return?

A couple of guys did th jubilee clip and hose trick for their turbo conversion on skylines Australia lol

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Mate that looks really nice, Thats what im hoping to do soon when the money situation is bettered. Why dont you remove the carbon canister, i have. You dont need it and they only have a life of around 100,000 miles and 5-10 years so its prob dead now anyway. Free up loads of space for the catch tank to take its place and gets rid of some uneeded nasty pipework.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fun with the family eh? :D Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't thinking of removing the charcoal canister but I might. I think space is OK as I have the ebay special catch can already located. What is interesting is the BOV return pipe.... more to come on that next week.

I didn't decide to tackle the PAS reservoir today, other than rip it out. I mostly fabricated annoying small parts. You might remember this piece from such horror films as "I attempted modification with only a hammer" :apuke:

Ant, the oil return issue arose because I have screw fittings. The -10 return line is fairly inflexible so I need to tailor it quite well. I believe most (sensible) people simply buy a good temperature resistant silicone pipe and clamp it to push-on flanges (this also comes with the added advantage of retaining the stock return flange into the block, and avoiding a £25 bill for a pointless piece of bling anodised aluminium :naughty: - For info 3/4 BSP to -10 AN). Pic should give you an idea of what the problem is (at the turbo end)...

For info, if you choose to dump the banjo bolts on the engine block you can bolt in an adapter like so. (Water feed M14 x 1.5 to -6 AN).

Few more parts to be ordered this evening but probably won't get much more done until next weekend. Time for a home brew :alco:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi mate,

Thanks for the info. The engine bay looks pretty awesome. See what you mean about the canister. Quite like the idea of welding the pipe directly on to the compressor housing.

I'm not usually into engine bay bling but I was considering cleaning up the spark plug cover as well. Sorry to hear of your gasket troubles. Be interested to see what kind of power you motor makes.

:cheers:

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Looking good Ben. I would not worry about welding the turbo outlet directly to the turbo as in most cases its done when the pipe is close to the manifold as silicon melts.

Richard

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
hi Benny thanks for those pics - gotta say tho I'm a bit in the dark at what I'm looking at lol but I've got some pics from another thread below...

here's a pic of the pipework one of the chaps posted up for me on skylinesaustralia.com after I asked some of the guys on there if they could help - he even marked which bits were which :)

this pic shows the points on the block for oil feed & return and also for the water feed...

this pic shows the water return going around the back of the engine...

this third pic shows the oil feed on the top of the turbo... not sure what that plug thing is tho...

another thing that interested me - he seems to have used 45 degree fittings - I'm guessing these will have needed the same adaptors to bolt into the block is that right? Also he's used silicon hose instead altho I would rather have the heat resistance of the braided lines tbh as you've done mate.

gonna post this little lot in my own thread - be good reference for me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Erm...can I just ask an "I don't know enough about Skylines yet" question: Is this undertaking a 'normal' route for installing a big turbo on a GTS-T then? I'm a long way off moving up from twins on my GTR (still need to get the GT-SSs refurbed and installed), but am curious nonetheless

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
for a noob like me its a right heartache mate - I've lost count of how many times I've been in the dark, got frustrated and just needed to know what to tackle first. I've fortunately had numerous tech support on this forum (Ian & Speedreeper on speeddial lol!) who've been really helpful and I'm seriously hoping after tackling this I'll have more understanding of whats happening. Each time I forget that the wife reminds me its what I wanted lol!
personally if your gtr is running just bloody well enjoy it! thats what these cars are about!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, I'd echo what Ant said above!! Here's another example of the grief involved - I have plumbed my water lines in the other way around. I.e. water feed from block goes into the other side of the turbo CHRA...??!! :uhoh: I am going to hazard a guess that it doesn't matter since the water is flowing through the turbo one way or the other (can someone clarify??!!) but I have definitely seen others plumbing Garrett turbos in the opposite way to the pics above.

Otherwise the pics are a good example of the arrangement - if you look around on here there is a link to an album of a build Chris Wilson did. A lovely example with detailed pictures... When I've got time I'll try to find it.

·
Robin
530 Posts
Haha, I'd echo what Ant said above!! Here's another example of the grief involved - I have plumbed my water lines in the other way around. I.e. water feed from block goes into the other side of the turbo CHRA...??!! :uhoh: I am going to hazard a guess that it doesn't matter since the water is flowing through the turbo one way or the other (can someone clarify??!!) but I have definitely seen others plumbing Garrett turbos in the opposite way to the pics above.

Otherwise the pics are a good example of the arrangement - if you look around on here there is a link to an album of a build Chris Wilson did. A lovely example with detailed pictures... When I've got time I'll try to find it.
Hi mate, don't worry you are right that the water can flow either way through the turbo :)

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Hi ben from what I've read on skylinesAustralia th guys there seem to plumb water feed into bottom of turbo and return from top. Dunno if I have that right but th thinking seems to be water feed bottom water return top. I checked in th manual and it seems to echo that with th diagrams too.

Has anyone done it other way round? Prob worth asking rsp about that one too! :)

·
Robin
530 Posts
I have a Garrett T04Z and it has oil feed at the top, oil drain at the bottom and water connections on both sides. It is important though to take the water supply from the cold side of the cooling system and return the water to the hot side of the cooling system, this encourages the siphoning effect that continues cooling after the engine is turned off.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
I have a Garrett T04Z and it has oil feed at the top, oil drain at the bottom and water connections on both sides. It is important though to take the water supply from the cold side of the cooling system and return the water to the hot side of the cooling system, this encourages the siphoning effect that continues cooling after the engine is turned off.
okay that makes sense nice one Rob. So long as your pulling cool water from the plenum side (around the back of the block) and returning to the hot side (into the block turbo side?) then it doesn't matter which way through the turbo it runs is that right?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts