Skyline Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
wow awesome updats Ben nice work! Hoping to start getting mine together this week! Will have to bear in mind protecting some of the pipes around the pas pump etc myself - didn't think o those. Its really all coming together for you tho!

one thing I've had utter difficulty getting torqued up are the manifold nuts - I couldn't even a torque setting and even if I did I wasn't able to get any kind of torque wrench on the bolt to nip it up correctly. In the end I just tightened them all up as best I could in the oem manifold order - not perfect I know but what can I do :/

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
After another weekend of slaving away I'm within a gnats pube of a working car. One last problem stands in my way - something I was aware of but put off dealing with....

When having the elbow fabricated somehow, bizarrely even, I managed to get wrong, even after checking it. The upshot is that it when I bolt it to the downpipe it comes up short against the exhaust proper. Could be fixed fairly easily with chop and weld of the decat or down pipe but I gotta move house in three weeks and I haven't even packed ffs. Lord knows when I'll get time to rectify this. Also need to fabricate some kind of bracket to support the down pipe and take the load off the manifold.

Other bits included torquing the manifold a little better with a 'crows foot' spanner,

and finally fixing up my fancy new power steering reservoir bracket, lol. Could use a bit of finishing but again I've run out of time. My hour count on this project must be well into the 200s... :crazy:

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
hi Benny
from what I read about the steampipe manifolds you DONT have to wrap it - in fact they're built to take serious serious stick so it might be worth just having faith in em and seeing how you get on.
interesting about that bolt tho - that is a big squeeze
By wrapping a manifolds it actually is one of the biggest causes of cracking due to the extra heat trapped inside.
The upside is it creates better spool if the manifold can take it which the steampipe is meant to be able to handle.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
yeah thats what I'd read about wrapping too Bruce but I imagine you would have to give a turbo some serious and constant stick to crack the manifold.

Ben good updates mate - good to see it coming together for you! :) I have a feeling at this rate we'll end up bumping heads at RSP at the same time the way we're goin lol!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Cheers bud, you might well be right becaues I'm broke and taking a serious reduction in income soon so no more unrestricted spending on the damn thing. I need a new clutch as well as a mapping.

I'll see how I get on with the manifold. To be honest I'm hardly likely to stress it any time soon. I'm also looking to gethe exhaust well supported so there is no load on the manifold other than the turbo...

Gotta keep plugging away :alco:

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
nice one mate - yeah I need to get a brace made up for my turbo and I think I'll get a downpipe bracket made up too to support it more. Wonder if you can make semi flexible ones? That said I imagine a fat rubber gaiter/stopper kind of thing would help give some flex/dampening from movement. kinda like the brackets the backbox hang on near the back.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i was thinking ant you could get a diff engine mount made up ( alloy bit ) out of steel so you could bolts something to that then like rips do with there install's.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
you should have seen it when you was viewing there vids few weeks ago lol

all it is, is a steel version of the alloy engine mount with holes in it so you can then bolt the turbo brace to but it had ball joint type ends on so you could make it longer or shorter.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
and you wont be able to see it that much.

but it would mean getting hold of another alloy mount to use as template.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, would you fecking believe it... after another full weekend, the car moved out of the garage under its own steam, first time in at least 6 months. To say I'm delighted would be a ludicrous understatement.

Took it for a spin round the block, stopped to check things, and smoke was billowing out the engine :eek:. Lol, turned out to be the manifold paint and probably 6 months worth of oil, power steering fluid, and other assorted solvents that have been sprayed around. Got me sh!tt!ng bricks though.

After a bit more bimbling, listening, checking, realising my wheel nuts were loose, etc. I opened it up bit more to see what the turbo spool was like, and in spite of my overall jubilence, I have to say it seems a bit laggy. I'm not entirely surprised since I'm running a 0.82 housing on a large trim (albeit GT2835R turbine) unit, no EBC, unopened stock head, plenum etc., and obviously has not been mapped - I'll reserve judgement. On the plus side though, boost came on strong 4000 onwards and only running 0.4 bar it pulled hard :D :D

Noises were utterly mental compared with old version, like some sort of hurricane - the stock recirc sounded like a scooby :eek:

Needless to say only made a few runs on boost (I've deliberately fitted a stupidly low pressure spring for testing) but, touching a lot of wood, it was running sweet... I still can't believe it. Now all I need is yet more cash for a mapping :smoker:

Heres a few more problems I had to resolve. Owing to my messed up elbow I had to fabricate a new bracket to support the exhaust. I also wanted to make sure there was no weight on the manifold. I bolted the downpipe to the elbow, got it all nice and tight and then positioned and fabricated the bracket. I stuck a couple of holes in the gear box cross bracket.

This worked pretty well except the exahust pipe didn't allign properly so I spent most of yesterday on my back adjusting the hanging - not fun. Finally got something close and then had to bodge it slightly with a bit of off cut metal, lol. Really hi-tech. Its blowing a little bit of course but nothing some putty shouldn't sort out :D Ultimately I'll get the decat pipe modded with a flexi section or something.

Engine (pretty much) finished looks something like this...

And here is what I have to look forward to :D Minus the twin plate clutch I picked up on Friday.....

I still have a pile of stuff to do but since I'm moving house imminently most will probably have to wait, list includes:

Fab / install cold air feed
Fab / install cold air shield for engine bay
Fab install various other heat shielding
Fab condenser matrix for oil catch can
Finish electrics for gauges (internal)
Install fuel pump
Install clutch

The list goes on.... :alco:

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
wow awesome stuff Ben and thats on .4 bar of boost maximum? I'm totally itching to get mine sorted n fire it up for first time.. it just feels so far away especially seeing as I'm no mechanic genius! I'm not sure if mine is a little bigger or not but I'll bear the extra laggyness in mind.
Be interesting to see how mine is with the ext wgate and wotnot.

Actually if you could post up in my own project - I stuck a heap o pics up but I'm just stuck with where to feed my water line in (the one with the push on fitting thats going around the back of the block)... I think its a case of cut the hosing and fit the push on fitting. doesn't help that I've got the greddy plenum and I'm still trying to suss out hoses to connect up and the like.

whats the navy blue metal things sat on the gauges btw?

really chuffed for you mate - its superb progress and good to hear its running... now get a video up :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Lol, video is a good idea :D

I'll take a look at your stuff shortly - thanks for the comments. Your turbo is a fair bit bigger than mine (~500+ bhp vs ~450) but also your air flow is going to be very different with the bigger plenum and throttle body, not to mention a LOT less pipework.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Haha, ok ok. See what I can manage. Still a bit worried about boosting at all but I'm reasonably sure the MAF and injectors will be OK provided I keep it sensible.... (expect a new rebuild thread very soon :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Will be a bot probably. Might be trying to tell me something - maybe theres a section in it on improving throttle response....

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
Will be a bot probably. Might be trying to tell me something - maybe theres a section in it on improving throttle response....
PMSL....

No, but there is a section on maximising combustion and bang for your buck with some home made materials lol

41 - 60 of 108 Posts