Skyline Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
No vids yet but just a couple of pics. Firstly I'm a little bothered by the close contact of various lines with the manifold, e.g. oil return...

I might try to add some more layers of lagging although it is supposed to withstand some serious heat.

Dash is shaping up ok though still got to mount the boost controller and DEFI control unit. After forking out serious bucks for HKS and DEFI gear the sodding things come with sticky back tabs, like something out of 'Blue Peter' ??? I've had the boost controller dangling in the foot well for about 3 years :wtf:

Btw, the EGT gauge is very cool and seems to be functioning exactly as expected. Seeing about 400 C at idle, 550 on normal driving, just over 700 C for (low) boost. Surprising how quicky it responds to change.

·
Robin
530 Posts
Looks like you've gone for braided pipe on oil retrun, so long as the contact is slight it will be fine, my downpipe used to make slight contact with the lower coolant pipe going through the bulkhead and didnt cause any issues (both downpipe and coolant pipe were both wrapped/lagged).

·
Robin
530 Posts
Also interesting about your egt gauge as I've fitted one also so will have to compare if my readings are similar to yours!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I've got lagging on the manifold and lagging and reflector on the braided line so I think you're right Rob. Maybe just a bit paranoid. I'm going to fabricate some additional reflectors from aluminium sheet this weekend.

I plumbed the EGT sensor directly into runner 6 about 4 inches from the exhaust port so it should be measuring real exhaust temperature. Would be very interested to see what yours does.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Wasted most of the afternoon fabbing a downpipe heat shield, mostly to protect the boost pipes, boost controller and other electrical connections at the back which looked like they were going to melt, lol.

I took a leaf out of kneesparks book and made something up out of cardboard first...

A fair bit of pratting about later I managed to get the framework looking like this...

And even more pratting about later I got it pretty much finished. I applied adhesive heat shield on both sides so it should reflector most of the heat down away from the rear of the bay.

I'll probably do a small one for the wastegate, and also one for the compressor housing, at least a plate that sits on the back. As this sits right next to the turbine housing (duh) keeping as much heat off it as possible will help. It was roasting hot when I checked it after driving. Maybe more to come tomorrow...

·
Robin
530 Posts
Interesting work there mate, heat management really increases reliability without question.

Also I will let you know what EGT's I get with the sensor mounted in the downpipe for comparison.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yeh, look forward to that. I just posted on your thread - somehow I'd missed your work!!!

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
what material is that?aluminum?is it welded?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Material is 1.2mm aluminium. I was trying to make it from one piece but I buggered it up and had to bolt a bracket on to attach it ok. No welding required. When I got the shape right I got a load of this adhesive reflective fibre glass sheet that seems really good, covered both sides. I haven't taken the car out yet but I'm hoping to this evening to see what difference it makes. The car hasn't, and won't see any hard driving for a while so time will tell if it stands up ok.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Bit more heat shielding today. Wrapped some of the vacuum lines and fitted the downpipe shield.

Constructed a compressor shield that kind of slots in between the two housings though I actually think the compressor suffers from the manifold side rather than the turbine housing.

Also pealed back the bonnet seal to try to encourage a bit more air flow at the back of the bay. Dunno how much difference this makes...

After a more spirited :D drive this evening I can confirm the rear heat shield makes a fair bit of difference. The compressor was also cooler but needs more work, along with the air feed. The rest of the induction system remains very cool since it is wrapped pretty much to the inlet plenum.

Exhaust temps stay 700 to 750 after consistent acceleration and boosting :D so I slowed down a bit. Nice drive though :smoker:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Lol, I was hoping for a vid today but it rained during the afternoon and by the time I went out for a spin it was dark. And its forecast to rain all week so thats nice isnt it... :mad:

Thanks for the support

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Well still failed miserably to get a video owing to moving house and jobs for the last two weeks. Car seems to be running very well.

Though I'd add that a very helpful chap at Micheldever tyres checked out my alignment after I fitted the rear camber arms a while back. Turned out I got them at 1.01 and 1.10 degrees by eye, lol and he didn't need to do anything to them.

I try to blip over to collect my twin plate clutch this w/e and grab a vid.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
OK, here is a video of sorts. Best of a bad bunch. The wind noise is too loud for my camera so I need to take some a slower speeds. When I get some more time I'll mess about with it.

On my way back from collecting a clutch :D

61 - 80 of 100 Posts