Skyline Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Area Rep
2,153 Posts
Can't view on iPhone mate, put it on YouTube. :) have a look at my thread iv taken some pics of the inside it's different to yours and we having trouble fitting the wastegate in there coz the wastegate exit from the mani is more to the side compared to yours??

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yeh, its an mpeg vid at the moment - 15MB lol. I'll post up on your thread about the manifold...

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
only just seen the video - thats a creamy sounding engine Ben - almost sounds V6 like except for the faint turbo whistle heh!

I cant wait to get mine running - I'm gonna do about a dozen videos once Its mapped and on the road!

by the way did you get chance to listen to my first startup on my thread? :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Clutch!

Hopefully, one day, this car will go faster than the speed I'm building it. But finally found time and weather to swap the clutch...

Few bits that may be of interest. Is a pig of a job on your own though only cos it involves loads of seized bolts and an enormous gear box. I had the car on stands in my tiny garage with not a whole lot of room underneath and only minimal lift on the bonnet because I built a huge shelf over it..... lol

The infamous top bolt on the bell housing required the engine leaning back, with a socket on the end of two universal joints and three extensions but it can be done easily enough with a few minutes of fiddling.

The four drive shaft bolts were unbelievably tight requiring both my feet on the undercarriage and giving it everything with a 14mm ring spanner (no extension).

Supported the rear of the box with a strap through the gear stick hole like so:

Front of the box roughly like so:

Took it real slow and coaxed it out with a bit of levering, balancing and swearing. But, eventually got there and removed the old clutch which looks remarkably new? (The flywheel bolts were a total [email protected] as well, feet on the undercarriage and a breaker bar.)

Nismo twin plate (not the one above) ready to drop in when I lay my hands on an alignment tool (anyone got one handy, Southampton area?) :D

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
hi Ben
good stuff mate glad your still keepin on with this. I've worked on a mates clutch with him once in the past on a gtr on a driveway and its a heartache and scary in places. I'd much rather pay a garage for it now for a job like that heh! Alot easier if you have the ramps!

cant wait to see how yours goes... I got busy this wkend too... have you seen my new thread :devil:

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164231

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Ok so I'm going for the slowest project ever, hopefully not the slowest car ever tho...

Over the last few weeks I've messed about with the engine management as most of the engine work is done for the time being. I have a few pics that I might post later but here is what has gone in to support the new ecu.

GM 3 bar map sensor
Air temp sensor
Innovate LC-1 wide band
ECU (one of them gold coloured ones)

Also for diagnostics I have the EGT sensor plumbed into no. 6 manifold runner, oil temp sensor and boost gauge courtesy of the HKS EVC.

So after much messing about and figuring out what all the settings do it appears to be running fairly well on a base map. The base map is way too rich so started to lean it out over the low rev range first. The first go at this resulted in the engine getting clogged with soot lol. I am assuming the default ignition map is as conservative as the fuelling - if it aint I guess I'll soon know :eek:

So this evening I took it for a few "dyno runs" and logged the data. Its kind of tricky getting the AFR right on as the signal is noisy, however its getting there. At higher revs and on boost it is running way too rich, as born out by the AFRs (down at 10) and the exhaust temperature (never goes above 600C).

AFRs peak at 16 and bottom out at 10 and its pretty easy to see where the problems lie, ie on boost (peak boost here hit 0.65 bar). Fairly certain I have a boost leak as it is running a 0.8 bar spring and not building so quickly - probably where I've stuck the air temp sensor as the seal is not tight.

Still it aint broke yet :) Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Hey Benny good work mate.

One bit of advice i were told and I've no experience of trying it as i don't have egt is that egt's sit around 6-700 when its good n right.

However apparently they will spike to 900 or something BEFORE detonation is usually heard over the cans. i don't know if u can confirm this at all with your own logs?

Looking fwd to seeing more tho mate!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Cheers for the advice mate. I am heavily relying on the EGT as an indicator of good mapping. Its interesting watching it change. The stock ECU takes me up to about 750-800 on a long hard run (I've never boosted over about .75 bar) but that is flowing more air than standard. I've got the alarm set at 800 (as a rule of thumb). With a rich mixture it gets close to 600 but refuses to go any higher. I suspect also that the ignition timing is fairly retarded but I'm not screwing with that until the fuelling is sensible.

Anyways, I can't wait so I'm going out for some more action. More logs to come :smoker:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very interesting mate. Will be giving mine a go at self mapping for a base map when it's running. Keep going with the good work.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks for the interest - still alive!! Time and money not as straight forward as they used to be.

Just had a good mornings progress (until the laptop ran out of juice). Dyno print outs and pics to come :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Ok, so a few pics of the bits and pieces...

Wideband, plumbed in where the old lambda was. If I'd been thinking I would have installed two bosses on the downpipe for sensors but hey ho...

Not real pretty but does the job. The GM map sensor is about half the price of the HKS unit, lol

Bye bye MAF...... :devil:

Ok, so here's the interesting bit. Below is an off boost run up through 2nd and 3rd gear. My private road wasn't long enough really but good enough to see whats going on. This kind of behavior seems pretty reasonable to me. Gets a bit lean toward the top end of 2nd but gets richer (possibly too rich) as pressure rises at the bottom of 3rd. You can see as I come off the gas AFRs sky rocket but presumably that's expected since the engine is just sucking air through...

Think there's a bit more work to do here but I've not been out on the open road much yet. Here I was accelerating up through the gears (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) but largely off boost. I'd rather not see AFRs over 15 even at low load but exhaust temperatures didn't exceed 700

Still fairly sure I've got a boost leak as I don't seem to make much boost before 3500 revs, but I'm also trying to lean out the mixture at low revs to help turbo spool. I'll post up my fuel map at some point.

Btw, mapping is :cool: but gets really tedious, really quickly....

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
its all looking good EXCEPT (and its a big except!)

I was advised NOT to tee the MAP sensor into any pipework - give it a full signal from the plenum where you can. How the others go is all okay but the MAP HAS TO HAVE ITS OWN UNINTERRUPTED BOOST PIPE.

This might sound a bit anal but I was advised by THREE tuning companies to do this with the link G4 ecu - i think it should be worth doing for yours mate

another thing is to maybe ask the guys on geekmapped forum?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Interesting point, thanks Ant. I did think about that, but couldn't face messing about installing another feed - hence why it is located with the tiniest length of pipe I could muster lol.

Is there another point to get a feed off the stock inlet?

I mean ideally one would want the MAP sensor stuck straight into the plenum right? I admit I do not like the tiny diameter feed nipple from the stock plenum....

Tbh (not that I don't take your advice seriously!) I'm not too concerned for the moment because:

1) I think total pipe length / volume, pipe expansion, etc. are the governing factors. Thus adding a T with extra pipe is essentially the same as running a longer pipe, no?

2) I don't believe pressure loss and lag (i.e. time it takes to 'fill' the boost pipe with air) are sufficient to cause appreciable problems in the mapping.

3) Anomalies should become apparent.

Having said all that, I will investigate further :) In fact, one simple experiment would be to do a couple of similar 'dyno' runs with and without the boost controller T'd in (I'm only running on the wastegate at the mo anyway). Any differences should show up. I guess if there were a problem I would expect a very slightly leaner mix as pressure rises quickly... Interesting stuff! Will report back when I have time.

Cheers

ps lucky I didn't blow the engine to bits last night as it started pinging and when I checked the ignition map it was buggered - running nearly 30 degrees of advance on higher boost :eek:

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
tbh mate cant tell you if there's another point off the stock plenum - i should imagine there will be or at least a way to plumb the MAP sensor into its own port and then some combination of tee'ing for the other components that need a signal from plenum?

Its just what i were told by tuners... mostly for safety i imagine really than anything else. with the greddy plenum there's loads of feeds off (oh and they're as skinny as the stock one so dont worry!)

30 degrees of advance?!?!!! eeeeeek! least you caught it pinging. you using det cans or knock block or something?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Not yet :shakehead: It just sounded all wrong under heavy load so I backed up. I won't be boosting again until I've got the stethoscope hooked up and got used to the engine noise. It can at least make boost but its a bit laggy but will hopefully get that improved.

Nice shout on the geek mapped forum btw :)

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
mate really! get some det cans made up ASAP. You can make a set with some bits some garden hose and copper pipe from B&Q and a cheap £5 stethoscope off ebay and it'll work a treat!

if its pinging and your able to hear it above the roar of the engine then its probably gonna be quite violent on the engine. With det cans you'll hear that popcorn crackle!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Yeh, parts on order. Hopefully it was my imagination lol :uhoh:

Anyway, more engine mangling antics tonight hahaaa :devil: ... (actually that means starting from a nice new clean base map and probably winding back the ignition across the board, just to be on the safe side)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Ok, this is probably the longest wait for an update in the history of the site. At least the site is still here...

So in 2015 I left to work in the US and my car was consigned to the garage, for nearly 5 years. When I got back I got some oil circulating and it fired right up. Nice. Then straight round to Abbey for a service, timing belt, rear suspension work, hicas delete, set of coilovers, alignment, a couple of tyres, ... , and a hefty bill.

Before I garaged it I managed to tune the F-CON a bit, at least so it passes an MOT and its driveable on low boost. The AFRs are too lean for boost at the moment but I hope that will change soon :)

The only problem I've had, apart form the creeping rust, was leaking from the turbo. Basically both the coolant and oil feed were leaking a bit - the coolant was worse but not terrible.

Basically my fittings are screw on, and a pain to get to - probably why they came lose. I had to fab up a couple of spanners to get the screws tightened properly (should've done this first time round!). There's bugger all space between the compressor and turbine housing on my turbo (gt3071r). In hindsight banjo bolts would have been easier to work with.

I have now fixed in my ECU and Defi control unit. Still got a ton of wiring to sort out but it's looking a bit tidier. I have a water temp gauge to add next to the AFR meter (centre console). Will also have to mod the console surround a little because the gauges don't quite fit.

Finally, picked up this bonnet cheap. Needs some re-finishing but otherwise seems OK. Hope it fits... (I was told it was for spec 2!)

So, what's coming up? Currently I don't have much room to work in, just a tiny garage with no power. I have a load of small bits n pieces to sort out:
1) Clean up engine bay; various corrosion; heat shielding; cold air feed;
2) Fit water temp sensor / gauge, replace oil pressure sensor, fuel pressure sensor / gauge (not bought yet).
3) Change oil to 5w40. (Abbey put in 10w60?!! C'mon guys this aint a track car, yet).
4) Re-tune to lower AFRs.

Then later:
5) Re-finish and fit bonnet
6) Fit 555cc injectors
7) Fit fuel pump
8) Re-tune to 1.2 bar
9) Complete rear sub-frame refresh: Strip rear, clean and treat underbody rust, blast and repaint sub-frame and parts, new bushings, re-fit.

If anyone has a working and reliable GTR-style inlet manifold (preferable Plazmaman!), let me know, I'm interested.

I hope to update before 2027.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts