Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mate is having some bother with his new car. It cut out the the other day and the fuel pressure was lost. Spoke with the seller and he pointed us to this unit (dunno the name) which sits underneath the parcel shelf. It turns out one of the pins in the connector had burnt out, so we replaced it and then the car ran. However it cut out again after about 30 miles. Any help on this issue fellas? a few pics.

cheers! :cheers:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has twin Tomei in tank fuel pumps, cant hear them prime when the ignition is switched on.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
could it be that the twin pumps running off of factory feeds is too much load for the standard circuit?,i would have thought big pumps like that should be run from a relay with a direct battery feed

T

·
0 Posts
Yes koh, you are correct. The bigger load would cause larger current draw. But why didnt the fuel pump fuse blow? :confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the input fellas. That something to be checked out koh, it makes perfect sense.

Fuse was checked and it was fine, even swapped it for another just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi guys ,so what do you think is the best step i can take to illiminate this problem from happening again and what is that unit called in the parcel shelf?? appreciate your thoughts and help on this matter

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i would use the standard fuel pump power wire to activate a relay with its own fusing for the individual pumps,you shouldnt get any problems then,as to the big box thing is this a gtst or gtr as i dont have on of those in my gtst?

·
Registered
156 Posts
its a gtr r33 and do you think that unit is now fried as the bottom connector was totally fused to the terminal thats why i replaced it with another ,you can see it in the pic showing the block connector,thanks again koh

T

·
0 Posts
I noticed it has modified wiring. I think the previous owner may already have accounted for the secondary pump.

·
Registered Insane
997 Posts
It's the fuel pump controller, it's purpose is to lower the voltage at idle or closed throttle to lengthen the life of the fuel pump.

If I remember correctly someone, possibly Tomei, was making a fuel pump loom with a relay to directly connect to the battery.

·
Registered
156 Posts
does anyone have a fuel pump controller lying around for a gtr 33 and how much ,i might need it ,thanks .... but i would still like to know why the connector fried itself to the controller??? ,,,any ideas fuel burner

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
it was pulling a bigger load than it was designed for,the connector provides a spot of higher resistance in the circuit,over time it got hotter and hotter and melted

·
Registered Insane
997 Posts
Your controller isn't the first and certainly won't be the last to fail, it's not that uncommon, given the fact that the original purpose of the unit is questionable in it's effectiveness I would suggest you follow koh's advice from an earlier post and wire it, via a relay and in-line fuse, direct to the battery, many other people have done this with no ill effects when their controller has given up the ghost.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i think i need to get in touch with rk tuning and have them look at it ,it was them who done all the mods and they should have a better idea than me when i tell them all the info you guys have given me and take it from there....once again appreciate the advice guys at least i can talk to them on a better level now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts