Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As much as I love my Discovery, when we aren't towing my race car, we get fed up of going everywhere so slowly. So it is time for a change and after a quick check through the criteria, a Skyline GTR seems like a good idea for a tow car.

Does anyone know if you can get a tow bar fitted? Has anyone got one?

While I'm here, any thoughts on the cars in the London area on Autotrader - particularly the Purple R33 for £13.5.

Thanks!
Si.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
err, have never seen a GTR with a towbar to be honest!!! which cars have you seen in autotrader, could you put a link up to them?

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Tow Bar!

What a waste putting a Tow Bar on a GTR!!, These cars are for pulling other things!!!, not another car.

That's my opinion anyway.

Paul.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
A towbar this is a joke right?and i doubt if there's a towbar available for a skyline anyway.get yourself a shogun excellent for towing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It won't give me a page to link to unfortunately.

Why does a tow bar bother you? We need a car to use at other times apart from when towing. A waste? No. A waste would be leaving something like that at home, rather than using it to tow another car to a circuit where both can be used. Are you saying that a GTR is only any good when being used at full capacity and that if you have other requirements other than just pure leisure it is not suitable?

I appreciate it does sound a bit naff, but what are the choices. 4x4's are great, but they are slllooowwww. My criteria for the car were simple - rear or four wheel drive, sub 7 seconds to sixty, and makes you fell good to look at it on the drive (ie not boring, like a BMW) - and must be able to tow!

No, it is no joke. Driving the Discovery around the Nurburgring and Spa later this year would be.

Si.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
I see why you want a towbar but as i said before i doubt very much if you'll get a towbar for one not to mention an electrics pack people on this forum have reacted the way they have as most of us feel that putting a towbar on a skyline is like putting a towbar on a skyline......it's something you don't consider really,you could get a subaru sport wagon sti and fit a towbar to that and it fits your criteria.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Tow Bar!

I still say that is just such a waste with a tow bar, Even if you can get one to fit(unlikely).

As venners has said, why not a Subaru Impreza station wagon, theres room then for your racing kit!.

Paul.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I understand it as a kneejerk reaction, but if anyone reading could picture themselves in a similar position, you'd get the point.

Subaru Wagon is a sensible option, but it's not the nicest thing to look at really - just doesn't excite. One of the problems is that I get to drive Caterhams day in, day out - including R500's. Cars simply don't get any faster. Therefore, the 'specialness' of the performance of something like a Subaru is not something I particularly feel. The chosen car has to look and feel good to me. Subaru's don't.

I really like Discoverys (have a bit of a Land Rover thing), so if we can't tow with a Skyline, we may be back to another one of these.

Other considered options - Evo IV, V (too ugly), Volvo T5R (FWD), Fiat Coupe Turbo (FWD), Lancia Integrale (it would simply die within a week, bless it).

Ho hum. If you search nationally on Autotrader for a Skyline 33, between 12500 and 15000, you will come up with this amongst the six cars:

1996 Nissan Skyline GTR33, 1996, N

Have also seen the white one at Motorzone - but it is very white.

The guy with the purple car reckons he has seen one towing.

Si.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Tow Bar!

If you really feel that a Skyline GTR is the car for you, then good luck to you, I hope you find someone to fit a bar for you, but make sure you have the car checked out properly, Othen GTR are thrashed(thats what they are ment for). at least get agood warranty, thats actually worth the paper it's written on!!.

Good Luck.

Paul.

P.S Wish I could afford a GTR anlone, nevermind towing a Cateram.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul,

Would it make you feel better if I told you the Caterham was my company car?!!

I'm looking for a standard GTR, not 8000bhp jobs. The purple one in the trader has an uprated exhaust - who wants to swap it for some cash and their standard system?...

Si.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
£15k for a GTR is cheap and would treat this with obvious caution most sell for above that figure i would say near 20k however there's a war on which has affected petrol prices so someone could need a quick sale ....becareful there's alot of wrong un's about.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
If you are after a nice GTR, there is a silver one in Guildford which should be within your price range. The guy is off this forum and is called WSurfa, I would recomend you send him a private message. I have seen the car personally and it looks lovelly.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Righto - progress this morning. There's a company in St Albans which have done three custom towbars for Skylines and they are 100% convinced that the R33 would not be a problem. Pricey though.

Back on the purchase side, thanks for the contact - will drop a mail if we continue with this idea. There's another purple one on the trader down that way, std apart from the alloys. Any feedback on these cars would be gratefully received.

Anyone want that exhaust?

Si.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Confession....................

when I was racing the little GTiR, and I also had my Skyline, I was gonna put a towbar on it and trailer the GTiR.......just to look good!!!!

ok, confession off my chest!!!!!

·
Seasoned Member
3,153 Posts
I once saw a R32 with a towbar, my freind and i just stopped and stared at the thing for about ten minutes in shock.

So i know its possible.....but to be honest why the hell do it?
go buy a porsche or somthing they have loads of things like roof racks available, sure they do a towbar ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Porsche? Aaarrgghh. Been there, done that, taken a bath on it too.

Why do it?

Blimey, haven't you got it yet. We want a Skyline GTR - dream car and all that - same as the rest of you. But we can only have it if we can tow with it!

Si.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Do you want

a roof box to go with the towbar:D :D ...sorry could'nt help it only joking good luck with the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good idea - having seen the size of the boot... :D

But where am I gonna put my tools and stuff though? Do any of you lot take extra wheels to track days? Do they fit in the back?

BTW - What's different about the V-Spec? Is it worth a premium? Should I hold out for one or not, based on the fact that it will get little track use? Sorry to be ignorant - this is still in 'impulse buy' territory, so haven't done my homework yet.

Am I bothering you yet?

Si.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts