Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off. I need to have a towbar on the skyline. So please no WHY do it posts.

looking at the rear of the car with the bumper off its just like many other cars. With a chassis section at each side and as luck has it a flat'ish rear panel.

So the starting point was a Mondeo mk1 towbar. This was about 30cm too short to fit as it was so i extended it. I will be making a full centre section out of 50mm box section when i get some, but for now this will do the job.

A chassis plate was made for each end where the rear bumper iron would normaly fit, this bolts through the chassis with 4 M10 bolts.
Next a stress carrier was made from 40mm angle bar. This is to help spread the load when applied to the towball. This bolts on to the rear most bolt holes that held the bumper iron in place.
2 long bolts and spacer tubes then bolt through the rear hitch plate, rear panel and into the stress carrier bar.
Then bolt the lot on.

This is the towbar sections bolted together on the floor.

And as it fit to the car

I have made it so the towball section is removable. It bolts on under the number plate.
With the tow ball on

And with it removed

The towball and electrics all stow away in the compartment where the jack is, neet and out of the way.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good work! I (after much abuse) put one on my 32 for my bike rack to attach to.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have read that the 200sx towbar will fit, but the back panel needs to have the bumps flatened out. There the ones the number plate brackets are welded on to.

Anyway off to get my car trailor now and see how it pulls.

On a side note. When i removed the bumper i noticed some surface rust on the top centre mounting bracket for the bumper and also the paint on the rear panel is just mainly overspray.
I have repainted and sealed the rear panel. Its a quick job to have a look (black plastic clips are hard to get off) and will save the panel from rotting through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts