Skyline Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Right as its almost 2009 (12 hrs to go !) I've been considering what I want to achieve for 2009 with the car so here is my list in order to get the old girl upto speed for track day (also to keep the discussion going regarding track day setup etc !) :

1 : Falken FK452 tyres for the new 17" alloys
2 : Upgrade front discs \ braided hoses and uprated pads all round \ 5.1 fluid
3 : Fit front brake ducting

Get the car out on a track - will probably do Llandow in April (skyline owners day)

4 : 19 row oil cooler
5 : FMIC
6 : Walbro 255 high flow fuel pump
7 : Apexi AVCR boost controller (0.85 bar)
8 : RSP ECU stage 1 custom remap

phew - that should keep the funds in the bank account sufficiently low :rofl:

What do you think guys ?

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
sounds good to me.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Right as its almost 2009 (12 hrs to go !) I've been considering what I want to achieve for 2009 with the car so here is my list in order to get the old girl upto speed for track day (also to keep the discussion going regarding track day setup etc !) :

1 : Falken FK452 tyres for the new 17" alloys
2 : Upgrade front discs \ braided hoses and uprated pads all round \ 5.1 fluid
3 : Fit front brake ducting

Get the car out on a track - will probably do Llandow in April (skyline owners day)

4 : 19 row oil cooler
5 : FMIC
6 : Walbro 255 high flow fuel pump
7 : Apexi AVCR boost controller (0.85 bar)
8 : RSP ECU stage 1 remap

phew - that should keep the funds in the bank account sufficiently low :rofl:

What do you think guys ?

Sounds a like a good start.

Personally, if its your 1st ever track day then i would say do an airfield day as they are very open and there is very little to hit.

Well thats the way i did it anyway, and it gave me more confidence in finding the cars limits.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
some great tips here fellas.....and now i know what ill be doing with the 2 holes in my front bumper where my indicators used to fit...prety sure i have a bit of duckting allready somewhere in the lockup..

one thing i allways belived to be true that i thought id mention... could be wrong... the point of the bigger discs isnt more pad to disc grip area.. its the extra leverage the calliper gets by being further away from the hub center.

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Bit of an update on the car setup for trackday use

1 master cylinder brake stopper fitted
2 brake ducting fitted and also a cold air feed to the the air filter
3 FMIC fitted

Regarding the brake setup I'm going with a set of front grooved \ dimpled discs (same size as standards), braided hoses all round, yellow stuff pads all round and DOT 4 racing fluid (the discs are braided lines have been ordered) and will get the rest soon and hope to have it all on the car in the next few weeks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tracks

Iam sure ive asked this question on here before in the past but isnt aintree a nice easy track to start learning track driving, iam wanting to take mine out this year to seen as its setup for it. as soon as i have me tuning mods done it should be spot on.
ive done the same upgrade on my brakes but i havent had much chance to try them out, i think they are a little sharper but i need them to get hot before ill notice anything. hopefully i wont end up having the same issue andy had:uhoh:
i have got cambers on mine but i dont know how to adjust them but hopefully after this weekend ill have been showen how to do it.

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
considered an airfield trackday ? a lot less risky, Oulton Park have a few novice days over the next few months with instructors as well

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
airfields

oulton park isnt to far i suppose to gain some experiance, what airfields are there around other than john lennons i dont think theyd app me swerving in an out of easy jets!
Elvington near York (bit of a trek I know) does novice \ instructor sessions, if your thinking of doing a novice track session I'm looking to do one as well but will probably be the end of summer (aug\sept) let me know as we could team up, at the moment I'm spending all the dosh \ time getting the car up to spec :ylsuper:

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Bit of an update on the car setup for trackday use

1 master cylinder brake stopper fitted
2 brake ducting fitted and also a cold air feed to the the air filter
3 FMIC fitted

Regarding the brake setup I'm going with a set of front grooved \ dimpled discs (same size as standards), braided hoses all round, yellow stuff pads all round and DOT 4 racing fluid (the discs are braided lines have been ordered) and will get the rest soon and hope to have it all on the car in the next few weeks
Car setup update :

Brakes are now upgraded with front dimpled \ vented \ grooved discs (same as standard size), yellow pads all round, braided hoses all round and DOT 5.1 fluid, car stops a lot lot better, will give me so much confident on the track

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well hopefully i will be able to take it in the next few months some were i will let everyone know when i plan on going, to see if anyone fancys it to you might fancy it at the time, and if not i can let u know how i get on.
hopefully ill get some good stopping power, it should be interesting to see how long the yellow stuff pads last, i have been told they dont last long but thats prob abit of rumers that go around i got them cos i was told there excelent alrounders.
we'll have to do a compare in a few months see if there working better on yours than mine.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
antree is an easy track to learn and its nice and wide..

ploblem is you need a proper racing helmet, they wont let you use a normal bike helmet like most other tracks do. your looking at about £200 for a snell 2005 spec helmet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
antree is an easy track to learn and its nice and wide..

ploblem is you need a proper racing helmet, they wont let you use a normal bike helmet like most other tracks do. your looking at about £200 for a snell 2005 spec helmet.
SO are you saying most places will let you on with a bike helmet or either?
do they not hire them at aintree?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
cadwell park was really easy going with helmets.. i took a crap one i borrowed of a mate and they didnt even look atit.. but they would hire you one..

i think its the company that actually run the track days that control the event..

motorsportvision.com ran the cadwell park one and i think it was them who did the helmet hire as that was one of the options on the booking form..

the diferance with aintree is that to my knoledge its liverpool motor club who run the event.. and they seem to expect you to have your own gear..

some info here http://www.liverpoolmotorclub.com/track-day-information/

seems the may track day is allready fully booked .. that was fast

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Been thinking of getting anti-roll bars as suggested earlier on in this thread (whiteline ones = ££££ !) but as an alternative would a front lower brace suffice such as the one below to reduce body roll, already have front and rear upper strut braces fitted

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/Nissan-Sk.../Nissan-Skyline-Front-Lower-Brace/p-21-1-306/

Also are engine damper kits worth fitting such as the below ?

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=289&strPageHistory=related

http://www.autoextreme.co.uk/AutoShop/product_info.php?cPath=24_27_52&products_id=170

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
The front lower strut brace just wont be as effective as the anti roll bars.

The engine brace isn't really worth it until 350bhp+ when it really starts to generate alot of torque and the engine mounts struggle.

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
cheers Bruce :bigthumb:

Would you think a lower strut brace would help a little ? I'm assuming you can have a lower strut brace and then fit anti-roll bars at a later date ?

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
cheers Bruce :bigthumb:

Would you think a lower strut brace would help a little ? I'm assuming you can have a lower strut brace and then fit anti-roll bars at a later date ?
Yes it does help, i've got both fitted.

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Well did my first track day (write up here http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1291214#post1291214)

Regarding this thread the break setup was spot on, the braking got better over time, as the weather was very very wet the car didn't really get pushed to its limits, but I think the car needs to be stiffened up a little now (lower strut brace \ anti roll bars) so it can turn into corners a bit better

81 - 100 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.