Skyline Owners Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Sounds like you had fun, and i'm glad this thread was of use to you.

·
Area Rep
2,153 Posts
Anyone struggle with understear? My car is a ***** for it when pushed on the slower speed bends:cya:, I was going to do the front camber to try and save the inside of my tyres but then I was thinking if I take camber out to save the tyres it would understear more:gay:?? I have TEIN type Flex coilovers with pillow balls, thick sway bars and it does sit quite low.:guiness:

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Have you got top and lower strut braces bud?

9 times out of 10 its two things that cause the under steer, first is tracking, second is tyres.

The other answer is to use a bit of gass and make the rear step out to keep the front in check.

·
Area Rep
2,153 Posts
Have you got top and lower strut braces bud?

9 times out of 10 its two things that cause the under steer, first is tracking, second is tyres.

The other answer is to use a bit of gass and make the rear step out to keep the front in check.
Tracking is fine, I have front and fear strut braces but no lower front brace. As for gassing it that is what I was doing but I went through a set of tyres in the Marham track day coz I was sliding it so much, good fun but not really fast:gay:. Im running Falken 452's as I just cant afford the 888 price for them to last half as long:disappointed:
Was thinking about the Driftworks front and rear upper and lower arm kit, but also think it would be a bit OTT and I would never use the adjustment as it is a road car that does some track days.
You will have to come out in it on the 20th I'll show you what I mean :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
There's only so good your ever get a GTST without next paying out some very good tyres like Khumo V700 or the like.

Apart from that you just need to change your driving style, slow up your entry speed to cut understeer and increase how hard you push it out of the corner to bring on some oversteer, its all about finding the balance in whats quick but not to much so your just spinning tyres and burning them out.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
hey all ...been reading this thread withinterest as we are now aproaching the next phase of my track prep for the gts4 saloon.

currently the car is on standard calipers with ferodo pads and dba discs. (red stuff rears) ive 19 inch wheels so no issues with large brakes and such.

i havea whiteline antiroll rear and standard front. a front strut brace.

currently the shopping list, not including engine mods, is;

fia aproved seats..(?which ones and are 4 door rails different to the coupe ..i think yes but anyone got a definative?)
harnesses ..again where and what?
hubcentric spacers to bring wheels out 10 to 15 mm.

she currently sits on standard dampers and lowering springs. coilovers? this is becoming much more of focused track build as the stagea is the daily bus....

i reckon ive a 1500 budget .. any pointers would be great guys...

btw te 4 door is 40kgs heavier thanthe coupe and i got 4wd ..+heavy so brakes gotta be good ..was thinking going above gtst spec ..

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Regarding harness' I fitted some with eye bolt attachments so can be taken out easily, got them from Demon Tweaks

You thinking of widening the rears with spacers ?

·
Seasoned Member
1,735 Posts
Regarding coilovers, ive got the Japspeed ones and would recommend them, had no issues with them and my car was immense on track and ive no strutbrace or anything, I had people commenting on how much grip I had, I gained 10mph down the straight at Oulton Park and was running 0.55bar boost which is less than standard I belive?

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Regarding harness' I fitted some with eye bolt attachments so can be taken out easily, got them from Demon Tweaks

You thinking of widening the rears with spacers ?
all 4 wheels as shes 4wd.

I know some would say change wheels but there's method in me madness as this is an NA .. hence 4 bolt wheels in 19 inch are hard to come by. i want to keep her NA themed so no 5 bolt hubs .....

could you please take a pic of the harness fitment?

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
well on the eve of what i consider my first proper track session, an open pit lane at oulton park thought id update here

concentrated on handling mods the last few months

whiteline antiroll bar on rear (front bar with whiteline drop links not yet fitted)
hubcentric spacers all round
kuhmo ku31 tyres on rears
front and rear upper adj arms
full geometry setup done after the above was sorted

also fitted oil presssure/temp and boost gauges

guess well see if it all comes together tmrw lol

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Hope it goes well bud.

I've gotta say mine at the nurburgring was absolutely bang on the money, really couldn't knock one single thing.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Best of luck matey, seems an eternity since i did my 1st track day, just remember to build up slowly and let the enevitable idiots pass you.

Will have to add oulton park to my done list soon

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
I'm desperate to crack rockingham & Spa

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Quick update to this thread...

Recently did Oulton Park again and really got into the flow in the later sessions and happy to admit that with the anti-roll bars (front one now fitted with uprated whiteline droplinks and bushes) and the other handling mods (see 4 posts up) the handling was pretty spot on with very little balance shifting and never once felt like the back end was going to slip out

So the main piece of advice from me is you really need to spend time sorting out the handling along with engine mods as the GTST isnt the lightest\nimble of things

I'm now planning on a total brake upgrade, probably brembos so I have the stopping power to give me late and reliable braking as the GTST even at stage 1 is pretty capable of keeping up with most cars on track and is hitting 120+ @ 6000 revs in 4th and I want to know it will stop when I hit the middle pedal

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Rockingham booked for May 14, and I'm busy getting the car ready. Last year I did Mallory as it was local and found that my R32 was overheating slightly (standard water temp gauge so a bit vague). So now I'm fitting oil and water temp gauges, along with an alloy rad. I already had an oil cooler but I had no idea what temps it was reaching.

Most work has been on the suspension, which though good I wanted to improve. I've removed the old Kei office coilovers and fitted HSD HR's, Whitline Fr & Rr ARB's, Japspeed traction arms and rear camber arms. Gotta get myself some front camber arms now. I already had the radius arms which are also a must to get increased caster

But the best thing I've done since Mallory was fitting the Yoko Advan AD08 tyres. These are bloody fantastic, the difference is epic.

Also spent more time stripping out the car, removing sound deadening, fitting buckets and harnesses.

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,706 Posts
HICAS lockout...

Question for those that track day regularly - have you locked out your HICAS ?
nope, kept it in and will leave it in unless it has to be replaced for some reason,

the whiteline front/rear ARBs made a massive difference to how my car handles on track, its resonably flat going around the track!!

but i still want coilovers though haha

·
7,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
nope, kept it in and will leave it in unless it has to be replaced for some reason,

the whiteline front/rear ARBs made a massive difference to how my car handles on track, its resonably flat going around the track!!

but i still want coilovers though haha
cheers

have the same anti-roll bars fitted with coilovers and adjustable arms etc and cannot feel the HICAS anymore, I did when I drove it stock, so just thinking if I jib it off as its not doing anything I'll at lease save some weight at the backend

·
Administrator
25,981 Posts
HICAS lockout...

Question for those that track day regularly - have you locked out your HICAS ?
mines isnt locked out and i do nurburgring :D

101 - 120 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.