Skyline Owners Forum banner

Trackday car setup - some questions

32K views 125 replies 24 participants last post by  psmurphy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hiya all

I'm currently working on my R33 GTST and prepping it for the trackday use for next year, it will be used a lot on the roads as well, and I'm well into stage 1 mods from stock, the next things on the old to do list :rofl: are :

HICAS lockout
TEIN tie rods
R32 GTR clutch

Is it a good idea to do the HICAS lockout and will it really benefit the car on tracks ?

I've fitted TEIN super street coilovers on medium damper settings at the moment, would it be worth the additional costs of an EDFC unit to easily adjust the damping between road \ track use ?

Regarding wheels & tires, I have 16" rims fitted at the moment, to keep costs down (spare set of wheels and tyres) is 16" ok for track use ?

cheers for any replies guys

Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
I personally prefer my HICAS for track use, if i was drifting then i'd remove it, but for tracking the car is definately more stable.

I also wouldn't do Tie rods but Camber adjusters instead, the whiteline adjustable bushes are very good.

I'd also only do a clutch if your current one is slipping, if it's not spend the money on better things for the track like better brakes, oil cooler etc

#4 ·
I personally prefer my HICAS for track use, if i was drifting then i'd remove it, but for tracking the car is definately more stable.
I think the opposite, mine has a tendency to make a nasty "twitch" when pushed hard, some seem to do it others don't, i guess its pot luck. But mine is getting binned sooner rather than later.

I would make the brakes your 1st priority imo. Although your driving style will play a part as to what set up you choose. (I am now on my 3rd different set of pads to try to get it right for me)

#7 ·
Tie-rods are if you want to get more lock for drifting, so not much need for normal track driving.
Brakes are a definate weak point on the GTST so well worth upgrading if you have enough money. r33/34 gtr ones are a good upgrade for not massive pounds.
Bushes are all well worth upgrading, although if the car feels sharp still its hardly worth the hassle for one track day?
Personally I think think HICAS lock or preferably removal is well worthwhile especially if you get a good diff such as a 1.5way.
On the subject a 1.5way diff is an excellent buy, a 2way if you are more hardcore tracking it.
Bucket seat and harness is well worthwhile but again maybe not for one trackday if you don't fancy losing your creature comforts. Its easy to just fit it for trackdays though.
The best mod you already have, coilovers :)

#10 · (Edited)
thanks for the feedback so far guys, its all invaluable :boogy:

agree that I need to get the brakes looked at as a priority as well and get race quality DOT 4 fluid

the clutch is starting to slip so need to get that sorted first so may as well get an uprated one, with the HICAS it seems there is no definitive answer on this so may keep it enabled and see what it feels like on the track

plan to get a full harness and keep the standard seats so at least Ill be a bit more secure but take on board that the seats can be easily swapped if I did go for a bucket seat

apologies as well, my original post reads like I'm doing a single trackday, I'm planning to make trackdays a common occurance !

any advice \ opinions on my tyre questions are welcome as well :rofl:

#11 ·
i would get a clutch from csd japspec :) front camber arms can be bought from ebay for around 190 posted, get some rear subframe locking rings and do the cheap big brake upgrade but you will need some 17's then

#12 ·
edfc are handy for fast road but for a few track days id save the cash.
1. all fluids
2. atleast the front brakes
3. oil cooler
4. get you noise level down! (decat for the track wont take long)
5. camber arms and a geo setup
6. intercooler.
7. a must have! i'd get a strut mounted towing eye so if it comes to it (hope it wouldn't) your bumper wont get broken! :Uzi:

its better to get the car's handling better because they are ok on the strait's, as for the hicas just see how it feels first time? it gets mixed feelings, let me know when you going to do a track day and ill try come watch.

#15 ·
thats why i have avs ones on with a 11mm offset and i am getting some bbs split rims in the same size too and there getting dunlop formula r semi slicks on

#14 ·
oil cooler can be had from bruce or ebay i would say do the brakes first, just ask andy what happened when his failed

#16 ·
cheers paul, your list is what I've got in mind tbh ! when you say front brakes would that be new disc, callipers and pads or would I get away with just larger grooved discs, same callipers with better pads ?

#19 ·
well there at least 1k plus you will need 18's for them to fit. you could just get some new discs from csd japspec front and back for 300 quid then yellow stuff front and red stuff rear. new 5.1 fluid, braided hoses from conceptua and a brake cylinder stopper thing

#20 ·
in terms of budget I've got around a grand left till after xmas, just spend a bit on a full exhaust and coilovers (rear driver suspension was shot) and servicing, had the car for a few months now and was stock when I got it

#21 ·
i would do the brakes first then as there the most important bit in my eyes. the set up what i said above will prob set you back around the 600 quid mark if you fitted it your self or got help from here

#24 · (Edited)
Definately go with 5.1 brake fluid, don't even think of the 4.

I'd also go with subframe bushes rather than locking collars as you don't want the chassis to stiff.

Standard rear brakes to be fair are pretty good, i'm still on standards.

Also as i said, you don't need the Camber arms as the adjustable bushes are more than good enough unless you want to add more than 2.5 degrees camber.

Another good thing to do is make the car lighter, stripping out things like the air con, spare wheel and jack, rear seats etc all help.

#25 ·
Agree with Bruce on the locking collars. The other thing with them is that they wont help if your bushes are really shot anyhow as they just hold in whats left of them. Much better getting some polyeurathane ones.
Semi-slick tyres are really awesome on track once warmed up but you have to be really careful in the rain with them as they are not good when not warmed up. Maybe worth considering really good quality road tyres seeing as you are not turning it into a track car.

#26 ·
thanks again guys for all your invaluable and expert advice, glad it this time of the year, gives me time to get the car ready bit by bit and properly

#31 ·
Your wish is my command LOL

Any other questions or advise needed, would be good to add to the thread.

#32 ·
One thing people always seem to over look and forget is Sway bars, i've fitted the whiteline ones and gotta say they are absolutely brilliant.

A brake stopper is another good cheap track day mod, along with making up some 3 inch venting to help cool the brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.