Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you dont have a banner ad, or have paid to advertise on here, and you are posting items or cars on the forum in a private capacity...........then dont.

Of late I have noticed an influx of people who contribute didly to this forum, only post up items for sale. If you are a bona fide private sales then please let us know. If I look at your posting history and find you only post things for sale, then you will be stopped from posting further.

There are people who have taken banner ads out, but dont use them yet, this is the case for traders like Speed-R and Speedyskyline to name a few. If you are a trader/trader from home/part time etc, then I dont see it fair on the traders that do pay.

cheers.

S

·
0 Posts
fair point - but perhaps it is worh getting back to people who ask about an intermediate place between wanting a banner ad and wanting to do some small time trading...............................

·
North West Member
1,434 Posts
What about the members who are here wanting to buy and wanting the resourses that a site like this provides them to be able to do just that. That means not being stuck with the big traders but also being able to buy off joe blogs too at a lesser cost sometimes too, as usually they are second hand bits that the bigger suppliers can't cater for. We all want bits for our hard to buy for skylines and don't care who we buy them from just as long as its quick delivery time and at a price we can all afford, as we all know how expensive owning a skyline is. So to cater for your members which this site would not exist without think about them first before you penalise the people who help keep us on the road and keep us coming on this site. Big time traders can afford to advertise, small time traders are a help to us all at some point but before you start banning can the big boy's provide what the small time home traders supply us... i think not, so i would suggest you think about the people that keep this site alive. I buy off this site before anywhere else, sometimes off the big traders and sometimes off the small fry and i am greatful to whoever can supply me my needs. Very sincerely Pete.

G

·
0 Posts
Whilst i agree in part with what you are saying , (we dont want to cut off our nose to spite our face) . This site is not funded by the users. It is funded entirely by the advertising. Is it too much to ask that traders Big or small contribute to the running costs. After all they are making a profit on there goods by selling them from advertising for free . Other forums charge for advertising from Traders. It might be that the cost is too restrictive for small businesses to take out banner ads , but there has to be some middle ground.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I think it is for members protection too. Some of these people come out of nowhere. Practically every forum i use has rules about traders and i think it is a good thing. Tbh, it p1sses me off when i see people come on to the club for the sole purpose of making profit out of members and contributing nothing. If these people were to put their items on ebay they would have to pay for the priviledge. Banner traders are obviously different because they give something back to the club by their contributions and are known to be reliable sources.

P

·
0 Posts
This is a good idea

Mazda Rotary Club - advertising works like this..
A vendor/trader can advertise in a "vendors for sale" section for £100 per year, and display their company name in their sig line.
For £300 per year a vendor can do this and additionally have a banner and be known as one of the "mazdarotaryclub.com Full Supporting Vendors".
The ONLY people who can post in the vendors for sale section are those paid up vendors. Non vendors can only read the forum.
This keeps everyone happy as those who pay most get more, but the club benefits as well by getting more revenue.

G

·
0 Posts
As stated before The Skylineowners.com forum is a separate entity to skyline owners club.
Skyline Owners Club does not benefit from Traders banner ads only in that if the forum was not funded in some way the Club would have no media to operate.

also IMHO i have to agree with Vicky re members (forum users) protection

A

·
0 Posts
what about a fee to advertise cars for sale ie; forum users / members something like £10 to up club funds you pay for advertising where ever nowadays if it went on a closed thread to stop loads of comments contact by PM only

obviously this would not apply to people with banner ads

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Andy, forum users and members are able to sell car parts and cars in a private capacity. We have no rules preventing that. Our rules are to restrict Traders making moeny out of the forum without contributing to it upkeep.

We will be changing our advertising structure soon to allow more traders on to the system, as we believe in free choice and competition.

Martin

·
North West Member
1,434 Posts
Firstly, Martin your comments are fair and constructive to the site (changing your advertising structure and free choice) it was the first posting of Tigger that fuelled my rage which caused me to retort. The axe of power was firmly in Tiggers hands without a discussion or thought of a resolve, unlike your posting where reason and a need for change is fairly expressed. Gordon, this site is funded by the users you may be surprised to hear, traders put overheads into their pricing therefore us as the users/buyers pay indirectly for those banners and remember there is no point in the traders advertising if we the users don,t come on this forum to buy. Vicky, the users you describe as only using the forum for the sole reason to make profit (in which some cases is true) do contribute to the site, they supply what we need even if they do not contribute financially (which as Martin say's, the forum needs to change and employ a workable structure). Lastly, this is a forum, a discussion tool, use the members of it to work along side the administration to come to a resolve. Cavalier style, heavy handedness to the detriment of all us users is not nessesary which Martin in his comment above proves, his fair mindedness is a credit to the admin team. Now i must go find a new bumper for my skyline, which is why i am here tonight.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This site is actually funded by the trade ads which pay for the server costs etc...the reason the notice was put up was to be fair to the existing traders, as what is the point in paying to advertise on a forum when anyone can advertise for nothing? The members area, is a different entity to the forum.

The reason we had to be firm was a number of traders trying to advertise without paying for the privilage...but, as you say, we have discussed how we can make it fair to all.....and a new pricing structure I am sure will be announced by Martin shortly.

G

·
0 Posts
Something for nothing

Pete H said:
Gordon, this site is funded by the users you may be surprised to hear, traders put overheads into their pricing therefore us as the users/buyers pay indirectly for those banners and remember there is no point in the traders advertising if we the users don,t come on this forum to buy. .
If as you say we indirectly fund the forum through banner ads from approved traders, then this is even more reason to restrict unauthorised traders posting there products for sale. as you can bet that any built in overheads are not passed to this forum.
Whatever way you look at it they are getting something for nothing, at the expense of either the forum users or the approved traders.
As Martin previously stated there is not a problem with bonafide private sales in the classifieds area. and with regard to the revamp of the whole for sale area this is something that is being looked at to make it fairer for all , in the general area and also in the members area.

·
North West Member
1,434 Posts
Gordon said:
If as you say we indirectly fund the forum through banner ads from approved traders, then this is even more reason to restrict unauthorised traders posting there products for sale. as you can bet that any built in overheads are not passed to this forum.

I almost agree with you here Gordon and have only one point to make, once again its not a restriction thats needed, Why restrict?? Why not just change the way funding and advertising revenue is gathered by making it more flexible and open to the small trader. That means choice and healthy competition, as martin says thats what he is working on and is definately the way forward.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pete, its not a decision that Martin took alone, myself, Martin and Gordon are working on this together....I think there is nothing else really to say on this as this as it is actually being resolved as we speak! :)

·
North West Member
1,434 Posts
Indeed, and is definately one of the best organized sites of its type, its a credit to you all but im sure your just a modest bunch that already knew that ha ha. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Martin is in the process of sorting...best to pm him with any requests. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts