Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A easy question I hope. I have a '93 HCR32 with a automatic transmition. When I start diving after the car has been sitting a while the shifting is very jerky and it feels like it sort of holds the car back for about 5 min. I can detect no unusual noises coming from the tranny. Any thoughts?
DH

Attachments

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
You know it was something which is very apparent on the SKyline Model Cars, I think its just down to the fact that the oil takes so long to actually heat up to a proper temperature before you get a smooth action in the gates, it creates a very hard/stiff and notchy gear change on most of the cars.

I wonder if it is the same then with the Auto box's

Buster : can you comment on this ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be on to something. After a km or 2 it feels like it lets go. I'm sure outside temp. doesn't play much of a role, since I'm in the tropics.
DH

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I had this discussion with MIddlehurst Motorsport a fair few years ago about a friends car and this is what they said.

Take it out and give it death for a few minutes, If it doesnt get any better then it isnt the oil. Low and behold it was.

Just want a second opinion from Buster as he has an Auto.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
When the engine temperature is cold and the car is effectively "on choke" the auto transmission holds the gears for longer than normal while it warms up, it also wont allow a kick down untill the correct working temps are reached, (it may allow down one but not full on loon). Also if you have the box in ""sports" or power mode when the car is cold it feels a hundred times worse. Also the "snow" stting makes it hold gears and change very reluctantly.
I have owned loads of auto's and I must say this is one of the best and most sophisticated i have used.

Have you found the auto box dipstick yet ? Took me months

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
So Theman, if you are in Okinawa, your local post box could be seeing some heavy use as our link to cheap parts, Hmmmm just thinking out loud

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
now your talking Buster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never been to Japan huh. nothing cheap here. My 5zigen cat back cost $550 U.S. Cusco front upper sway bar $150 U.S.
DH

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
hahahaha

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
I also have the problem of a bad tempered gearbox when cold, like Sarcy said I think its a traight with the Skyline

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Is it me ? Is it cos I am feeling unwell ? Or am I having a senior moment ? Why do you say that you live in Japan if you have never been there ?
Not being rude just confused

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
that'd be an old moment mate :D
i think he was saying that you'd never been to japan or you'd know that things werent that cheap there... he's not been to takakaira then has e

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
anyway theman74 I've got an HCR32 auto and the box is not too bad when cold, I havent noticed that kick down preventer thing buster was talking about but then I've got 1/2 mile of 20mph limit and speed humps round my house, so its warmed up before i can try it!!

when you change the fluid try to flush it thru a bit (its not too difficult but you'll need a couple of extra ltrs more fluid) as most of the fluid stays in the torque converter , I only got 3.5litres out of mine and I think it takes twice that to fill! oh yeah and measure the stuff you drain out so you know roughly how much to put back in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts