Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I urgently need a paint match for my R33 -i hit a speedbump a bit too hard and chipped the paint. It has now been rubbed smooth and looks good -but needs paint! The local car shop has tried really hard to get a colour match but no use. Problem is -my car is a fresh import and is not yet registered with Nissan. How do I go about this? Do i pay to register the car with Nissan? its not due an MOT till next May.
Otherwise -is there any other way to get a paint match? (white).

Im so desparate im tempted to buy some tippex!

Thanks

mandy.

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the code -KL0 -but the motor shop doesnt recognise this -they say I need to register this with Nissan! is this correct?

·
Seasoned Member
1,789 Posts
Be careful, my paint is met silver and code is KYO. When i bought some paint for a grill last year it was way to dark. The import cars even though having the same codes can come up different. Nissan told me KYO came in 3 different shades on there grey import listing but only 1 shade over here.
Nissan 350z with a KYO code in the UK is blade silver i think but is a lot different shade to my car.

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
info above is correct -there can be two or three different versions of the same colour.
However the solution can be found at Halfords - Please dont laugh just read on.

Halfords have a paint mixing service and their computer has suprisingly all the import colours as well as the uk ones. When they find the code if its on the computer once theres no variants on twice theres two and so on,

I had a panel sprayed on my stagea by a spray shop - great job but somehow not quite right. As the colour is a 'flip' which was a genuine nissan colour it hardly noticed so I accepted it.

Was in halfords (buying a tent for JAE) and there it was - paint matching. Expecting the obvious I said bet you cant match this code - The guy looked it up and said theres two green/black flips for that year, So I bought both and one matched the repainted bumper and the other perfectly matched the original colour.

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
KL0 defenitly is metallic silver so your car must have been resprayed in white otherwise the vin plate would say qm1
you'll see in 2 days if you don't cancel that order
in the motip colour code book theres 3 or 4 shades of KL0 pffffff

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is no perfect match even if you have the paint code, you need a base colour and the top coat, then the correct clear coat mix, possibly the top will need tinting then panels need flashing, which involves reducing the harderner with top to blend in. On top of that the correct conditions to spray, gun setup for the paint.
I was quoted 500 for a boot respray,this involved flashing.. I got it done alot cheaper, its ok but not a perfect match. If you want good paint you gotta pay!! Or just live with it.
I've sprayed a whole car, body prep..ect but still don't feel confident enough to spray and blend metalic pearl on my car. Its a hard job and worth every penny you can afford!

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bloody hell -you guys have me fretting now -I need to ring Nissan today asap! Mine is a fresh import -must have been silver in Japan! ****! All this trouble for a one inch square bit of paint off my bumber --im tempted to get some tippex!
I will also try Halfords soon as we have one opening in Northallerton.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.