·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
just a quick question
are any u guys useing this tubby
:Greddy TD06S-20G 12cm complete turbo kit

just want to know is it a good tubby to use as a fast road car or will it be laggy
been told that its good for 550bhp at 1.6 1.7 bar
i'v got cams to go with it just to help it along ]
going to push my luck and try and run 450-500 bhp on std internals
hope it stays together :)

cheers lemsip

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
They are a bit laggy but you can do things to help cure that, like fit a higher lift inlet cam only, a 4 inch down pipe along with a well set up boost controller and a good mapping session.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
bang for buck you may aswell get the 25g as the price is almost the same but the bang is a lot more! i've looked into it;)

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
If you have gone for the pro cams then you will need the uprated valve springs and lifters to go with them, only the pon cams use the std lifters and springs.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Also as a warning, i have stripped my engine down for a rebuild as i'm fitting a bigger turbo (hks 2835) although not as big as yours. And wanted to refresh the bottom end as it had covered a fair few miles. There were no running issues at all with the motor. However when i stripped it down i found 2 cracked pistons ( Ringlands were shot) its only ran std boost as far as i'm concerned, So I would think long and hard before strapping a large tubby onto your engine. I'm not for one moment saying yours is going to fail, i'm just saying i'm pleased i stripped the bottom end on mine before i fitted a bigger turbo, as it could have been a disaster. I would advise anyone the same.:cheers:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmmmmm the seller did not tell me that :(
this is what i'm getting
TOMEI EX Procam 260, 9.15mm
TOMEI IN Procam 260, 9.15mm
so your saying that i need the springs and lifters to .
help i have no money left
do u think i should get my money back do i really need the cams to help the tubby along
i'm in need of sum sound advice here

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
you dont really need the cams to make it work but as said above it will be a tad laggy what the cams could cure
dont think many people rebuild their engine before strapping on an uprated tubby, no bad idea at all but a bit pricey :D
1950 for the turbo kit + cams sounds good , id keep it and try to save up a few £ to complete

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^^
do u think i should wait then before putting the tubby on
and how much do the lifters and springs cost

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well looks like i'm not getting the cams any more
but i'm still getting the tubby for 1700quid :)
got a refund on the cams

what do u guys think i should buy in place got about 250-350quid spare now

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Why not get a set of PON cams instead, they can be used with the std lifters and springs, and will help with turbo lag, although not as much as the procams but will be better than the std cams. I paid £267 delivered from rhd japan

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
you dont really need the cams to make it work but as said above it will be a tad laggy what the cams could cure
dont think many people rebuild their engine before strapping on an uprated tubby, no bad idea at all but a bit pricey :D
1950 for the turbo kit + cams sounds good , id keep it and try to save up a few £ to complete
No i dont suppose many would rebuild before fitting a larger turbo, mine had done a fair few miles so i thought i would be safer, and i'm pleased i did:D

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'v got 77000 mile on the clock now do u think that is a lot of miles

i'll have to wait a few days before i can send the payment off for the turbo.
for the money what else could i get
i'm looking at about 400-500bhp

·
Registered
828 Posts
Why not get a set of PON cams instead, they can be used with the std lifters and springs, and will help with turbo lag, although not as much as the procams but will be better than the std cams. I paid £267 delivered from rhd japan
I agree with the pons cams instead.
They should net you another 20ish hp without the need for doing any alterations just a straight swap.
IIRC bruce and big chief just went for the pons inlet cam to gain power and not the exhaust cam which may give a little more boost lag.

Horses for courses as with the exhaust cam you'll probably see a little more hp but also a little more lag.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
er the 25g tdo6;) about the same price pretty much,ask richard at rsp he'll tell you what you'll need mate.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea i know but i'm only paying 1700 for the kit so if it will not make 500bhp i don't really want to buy it.

anybody know of a good place to look online to buy one

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
You said before you are looking for 400-500bhp, thats a big difference mate and depending on what you decide will obviously affect what route you go down. If its near to 500+ you want then the td06 25g is what to get. If 400+ is what you decide to have then i would recommend the hks 2835 pro s kit. Both myself and martin (wiescobandit) are using these and they are rated to approx 430bhp i paid 1283.83 delivered to the door from nengun. These turbos are low mount and use the std manifold.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
the 20g will get over 400 but the 25g will get 500 ish for about the same price

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.