Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea i've been toying with the last few days.... fit an air/fuel ratio monitor, tap it into the lambda sensor in the dump pipe then use something such as the apexi s-afc to tune the cars a/f ratios whilst driving up and down a private road i know of at set rpms.

Got to be an easier option than fafin about paying for rolling road time everytime i need to check and set.

I take it, it doesn't matter what gear i tune in e.g using 1st to tune the entire rpm range.

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Make sure you use a prosessional 5 wire wideband Lambda sensor, a detonation / knock monitor and a EGT guage. Anything less is asking for trouble.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pidge, sounds like it'd be safer to leave it to the pros...:D ...that looks like an exspensive shopping list.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm....

Gotta get me one of those wide-band sensors then!

I downloaded some S-AFC tuning guides from the net and played with mine a month or so back, using the mark 1 earlobe and a good look at the exhaust pipe.

Set the low throttle fuelling in my car park, by running the car stationary at each RPM point on the S-AFC and tweaking the mixture down til it wasn't happy, then adding about 10 - 20% on top to keep it from being too lean. a/f gauge was kinda handy on that front.

High throttle I set up by using a 2 mile straight near here when the road was quiet.

I found that at .9bar the car was majorly overfuelling, was hitting a bad flat spot at about 4500 - 5000rpm when she would lurch and grumble. Tweaked the S-AFC back a bit on the fuelling (just enough til the flat spot vanished) and its sweet as a nut.

However, we are talking corrections in the area of 10% maximum (on low throttle), and on high throttle about 5%.

Done over 1500 miles since with no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts