Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When tuning a vehicle is it possible to extend the power curve so that the power continues further up into the rev range - i.e. red line is reached later in each gear. What determines the point of red line (I don't know if this is the correct term but I mean the point when the power curve drops off)? Does it have anything to do with the weight of the engines internal parts?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
This is dependent on how the engine has been built.

Ie Square block engine will not rev well, but have low power Torque and equal power distribution.

Short stroke will be torque engine, but have no revability in its expansion.

Long stroke will give great rev potential but lacking in low down responsiveness.

This is all in general, and should be taken as such.

You can in an engine with a long stroke extend the rev up to the limit of the parts within the engine. The weight of the parts are not so much of an issue as the balancing of them against the crank and the working/moving parts.

Most engines have red line set jusrt above their max power / torque cross point of equilibrium.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
welcome, it wasnt the best description, but wanted to be concise.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
principles are still the same jaffa, stress on the parts, hence take it to the reliability of those rated parts.

Or go on a lego course in your case :)

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
ah so principle is the same then , balancing ? ;)

and i dont mean one finger on your nose and standing on one foot ! counting backwards from 10 to 1 !

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
So your comparing your engine to a washing machine. hmmm if your coming tonight ill get some persil tablets for you ;)

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Anyhow principles stay mostly the same, even if going around and around instead of up and down. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sarky_FCUK said:
Short stroke will be torque engine, but have no revability in its expansion.

Long stroke will give great rev potential but lacking in low down responsiveness.
Isn't this the wrong way round, surely short stroke engines rev higher ?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Could be :) need more coffee before thinking this morning.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tis like everything, you can go for fast short strokes, or long slow ones, but try for fast long strokes and you'll break something :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
hahaha :) nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts