Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I took my R33 to STM (a local tuner) for a check to see what was up with my car, as it hasn't been running right since I put the new 25DET engine in and I've had it on a Nissan Consult and all the sensors on the engine seem to be working properly, and all the readings from the lambda sensor came back sweet too. But it was still running rough and not boosting properly.

The tuner took the car for a drive and said that the car was not boosting properly and he could smell petrol (which I already knew) and suggested that it could be my catalytic converter being crushed or collapsed or my turbo playing up.

So I've decided to replace the cat with a decat pipe and the rest of my exhaust with a 3" exhaust (as my one was getting pretty corroded), and I want to either get my turbo reconditioned or get a different turbo which will bolt straight on without anything else needing to be replaced? My main goal is to save money on it while getting it running properly.

Any suggestions on what I should go for with the turbo? Only mods I have are a FMIC and GFB electronic boost controller.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Did the current turbo come with the new engine?? Or was it your old one? i.e. if so it was running sweet before?

Seems odd that the problems started from the moment you fitted the new engine- are you sure you've eliminated any chance its the new engine?

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
If your on a budget, then I would suggest that you stick to a std turbo rebuild, as if you go for a bigger turbo or increase the boost your going to need to either remap the ECU of fit a piggyback or stand alone, along with a different AFM etc.

·
Noob until taught otherwise :D
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The body is a R33 GTS25 auto from factory and I put the 25DET into it with a manual box, and I'm using a R33 GTS25T auto ECU. The turbo came with the new engine and I didn't get it checked, I just put the engine in.

I've checked the ignition timing when I put the engine in and it's spot on even at advance, and haven't checked boost leaks but I've got it booked in for a full dyno on the 21st so that can tell me more about it.

I think I'd rather get a rebuild now if it's needed and make it run like it came from factory, and then build on that. Kind of like making the best base for a build.

Cheers guys

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
The fact that you can smell fuel could indicate you have an overfuelling problem which could be why its not running properly, not necessarily the turbo, I would first check out the following before rebuilding/replacing the turbo, boost pipe leaks including all the small vacuum/boost pipes, leaking injectors (IE stuck) bad fuel pressure regulator.

I would change the exhaust/decat and see if that makes any difference first just in case its a crushed cat, and see how you go from there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i had similar problem when i bought my r34 gtt, turned out to be 2 injectors stuck open which was causing it to overfuel badly and run like crap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts