Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to know if anybody could tell me step by step exactly what im going to have to do when installing a turbo system on a non turbo car and i dont mean what i have to change i mean how to hook up the exhaust headers all the way through to the downpipe and air box to the in take including placment of vacuum lines, bov and waste gate if needed its a stock rb20 det turbo so i dont know if it is internal or not so i would like some help if not then point me in the right direction plz
thanx

·
Registered
138 Posts
is it not easier to buy a turbo'd car anyway??

i would have thought that it is going to cost you more to fit a turbo kit than to buy a car with one fitted, and i would have thought you would have to re-do wiring harness and ecu etc also.

sorry i'm not much use but dont see the point in fitting a kit when you can buy a gts-t for cheap these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car has sentamental value and im getting the turbo and manafold for free and i have an ecu for cheap and i can get all the stuff for not that much plus i dont have the money to buy a new car overall it will be cheaper for me to do it this way i just need technical help first time to do it

·
Registered
138 Posts
fair enough but i would have thought that you could sell your car and then buy another with the money you get.

i'm no mechaic but off the top of my head i would say your going to need:

boost solinoid
acuator if you havent already got one
different intake manifold
intercooler and all pipe work
bigger injectors (not sure of size of non turbo ones)

iirc the stadard turbo will have an internal wastegate.

like i said sorry i cant be more help and i'm sure someone will be able to help but you may get the same response from other people as mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i thank you for the help i do have the bigger injectors and im getting all the correct items i just need things like vacuum line diagrams and thats mainly it

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
I've seen floating around the internet the R32 Engine manual in PDF format, that should have what info you need. Getting your engine turbo'd isn't as easy as people first think. I thought of the same option when I was in Okinawa, but after learning that the RB20 NA & turbo engines are actually quite different internally when it comes down to it, decided on the engine swap.

The engine manual should show most of the info you'll need. As EvilR32 said, the standard turbo has an internal wastegate, which I would recommend adjusting so your boost doesn't go over 6-8psi as your NA engine's compression ratio most likely would not take the DET's boost level without modifications (ie. thicker head gasket).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts