Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what turbo manifolds will fit the RB20E??? the rb20det??? or will it have to be custom made?

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw im after a top mount 1 :)

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
so your going to fit a turbo?

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thinking about it yeah . iv heard a few others doing it and had good results .. also i know you might just be trying to give me advice but i really dont want the ( theres no point , go buy a RB25 etc etc)

·
Kyusha_Riot
2,475 Posts
I wanted to turbo mine but i have no where near the funding for it and seems alot of hassle are you doing a project thread for this? if so would like to know how you get on with it mate :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I had a look into this when I had an rb20e, I found that nothing was available in regards to manifolds and the ports are too narrow to support that much increased aiflow anyway.

I hate to say it but bb25de/ rb25det's don't cost much.....

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aye il be doing a thread but not yet just getting info . and only guna run small boost yes i know it will cost alot . yes i know it will take time but its original seeing as theres so few around ..

does the RB20det manifold fit on the RB20E?

·
Kyusha_Riot
2,475 Posts
Awesome mate and thats why iwanted to do one :) what turbo are you going to be using?

and i dont think they do i looked into this i think the head bolts are in different places but might be wrong i put a few threads up and no one seemed to be sure

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tbh like i siad im not sure . i was thinking a modifyed top mount manifold for the rb20det to fit to the rb20e with a standered 20det turbo running low PSI till i find out if i can use det internal on my block if i get it all up and running then il think about uping the boost abit

·
Kyusha_Riot
2,475 Posts
Ahh right yeah see i wanted to put a 20det head so manifod would og on but it doesnt all fit :/ but yeah if it works let me know how much you spent and how good it is liek if its is worth it or not, i wont be chanign my engien for some time i wanted a 25det in it so will have to save for quite a while haha and awesome what boost pressure are you thinking of, around 0.5bar or something? also let me know about the internals as i was thinking of upgrading my pistons, see i wasnt going to turbo it after i saw all the costs so i thought about a better cam, upgraded pistons and what not also getting a decat and new plugs and changing all my exhasut to a 2.5inch system and some other things, i recon i could get near 170bhp or so out of it anymore would be a bonus

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i have a few friend in the custom manifold trade ;P but if it doesnt fit then im guna buy or borrow if i can a top mount RB20det manifold and a RB20e manifold , throw it at my mate and say (MAKE IT FIT!!!!!) lol only guna be running standerd internals so about 5 psi max unless i can get some info on what it can run . the only costly thing i can see is the remapping etc as im in the tmechanics trade everything else is fairly simple.. iv turbo converted a few engines thats not suppost to be turbo and the only 2 things that are difficult is the manifold and ecu everything else is easy

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Dropped the supercharger idea eh?
This idea is slightly better but still the end result of putting a turbo on a 20E is very bad value for money and power.

Based on the questions you ask.... and more importantly, the questions you don't ask, I still think you don't have the first clue what type of tree you're barking up here.

If your going to spend money trying to modify an engine, why do you keep insisting on using the lowest spec RB available?
Costs will be high, gains will be low. Any further potential gains will be seriously restricted without doing extensive work to the engine.

An RB20DET and RB25DET manifold are the same.... but they won't bolt up to a 20E.
I believe an RB30ET manifold will fit... but they are rare as rocking horse ****. You're most likely to find one in Australia where there are quite a lot of VL Holdens. Beyond that - custom made.

Why do you want to go top mount? Absolutely pointless if the turbo fits low mount.

What ECU do you plan to use? I'm not sure there are any aftermarket options available for the 20E.

If you choose to do it, good luck to you - it's your money and you can do what you wish with it.
Whatever budget you have in your mind for this... triple it (at least). Also triple the amount of time and effort you think this will require.

·
Psssssssssst!!!!!!!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped the supercharger idea eh?
This idea is slightly better but still the end result of putting a turbo on a 20E is very bad value for money and power.

Based on the questions you ask.... and more importantly, the questions you don't ask, I still think you don't have the first clue what type of tree you're barking up here.

If your going to spend money trying to modify an engine, why do you keep insisting on using the lowest spec RB available?
Costs will be high, gains will be low. Any further potential gains will be seriously restricted without doing extensive work to the engine.

An RB20DET and RB25DET manifold are the same.... but they won't bolt up to a 20E.
I believe an RB30ET manifold will fit... but they are rare as rocking horse ****. You're most likely to find one in Australia where there are quite a lot of VL Holdens. Beyond that - custom made.

Why do you want to go top mount? Absolutely pointless if the turbo fits low mount.

What ECU do you plan to use? I'm not sure there are any aftermarket options available for the 20E.

If you choose to do it, good luck to you - it's your money and you can do what you wish with it.
Whatever budget you have in your mind for this... triple it (at least). Also triple the amount of time and effort you think this will require.
hmm why do i want to do this you ask? how many turbo charged 20e's do you see around? thats why theres like less than 10 in the world lol i mean sure power gains are not guna be optimal by far i know but people will respect the fact that iv gone out my way to so something abit different , i want top mount because if things go good il go stand alone management etc , my mate works at omex , ecu shouldnt be too much of a problem with a simple remap at low Psi

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
hmm why do i want to do this you ask?
Cos you like pouring money into a lost cause...?

how many turbo charged 20e's do you see around? thats why theres like less than 10 in the world
Yeah... there is a good reason for that.
Much the same reason as why you don't see people trying to extract power out of an R32 GX-i

people will respect the fact that iv gone out my way to so something abit different
Err what people? I can't speak on behalf of anyone else, but I don't respect people that pour money into a base model engine to try and make it do things it was never designed to do.... especially when the gains will be trivial and there are engines available that will bolt in and have 3x the power (with very light modifications) of an RB20E. An RB20E+t might end up as quick as an R33 GTS25 (RB25DE) - if you're lucky.
At what point does common sense overtake this perceived "respect" ?

my mate works at omex , ecu shouldnt be too much of a problem with a simple remap at low Psi
No idea what Omex is or does.... all I can say is good luck.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but what parts/custom work do YOU think you will need for this (list them)... and have you worked out the cost of all of these parts/work?
I'm talking about everything to do this properly... from a new intake pipe, to a new exhaust, to an LSD.
Will you be doing all of the work yourself?
What happens when you want more power once it's done? Do you continue to pour money into a constipated engine to squeeze every last HP out of it.... or do you just re-start with the right platform?

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
just go custom fella, you could use the standard manifold and do a crazy uppipe setup like the imprezas, anythings possible depending on your talent and dedication

defo do a project thread though would love to see the direction you go

·
http://www.japmad.net
346 Posts
let me know your results ....despite all the "don't do it change the engine" im looking to tune my rb20e too for similar reasons don't like doing what everyone else has done + getting a rb25de / det is easy enough but u don't need just the engine u need the whole lot....the intake, manifold, wiring loom, hubs, callipers ect...ect.....not exactly as easy as chop and change so I say go for it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts