Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I keep forgetting to ask, I hope its ok as it hasnt blown up yet and theres no odd smoke/oily deposits anywhere I can see. my turbo makes a bit of a whistling/whine noise when spooling up somtimes. Kind of sounds like an old kettle boiling when they used to whistle. Seems to be louder when its cold, and sometimes it doesn't make any whistling sounds.

Just wondering if this is normal or if it indicates a possible problem? It seems to drive fine, but due to the breathing mods its probably over-boosting a bit.

I've heard people talking about getting the turbo rebuilt with steel internals to make it last longer and allow for more boost. Is this probably the best option or is there another turbo I should be looking to whack on instead?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bollocks. :( Will take it easy till I get a chance to have it looked at then i guess :(

how annoying I bet its screwed and I wont have any money to fix it due to xmas :(

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
if the vanes on the intake side have any marks on the leading edge it can produce noises,would probably depend on intake temp too so have a look if you can

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have a look tomorrow, its an Apexi intake if thats any use in diagnosis :) I really hope its not on its way out, might have to cancel christmas if it costs a lot to fix :(

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Rich which turbo to get will depend on what power you want.

Upto 430bhp the std turbo rebuild will be fine.

As for your turbo making noises, until it stops boost or like mine when they blew gave out tons of smoke i just wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fair enough, I wont be goin over 400 on the tiptronic box anyway so I'll probably get it rebuilt in the new year, hopefully it be ok, its boosting fine and no obvious problems other than the noise somtimes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yer bearings are blown. blades are scraping the housing, or oil has caked in the housing from the blown bearings and is causing it to scream at u. swap out the turbo, and get an oil catch to minimize oil intake from the blowby gasses

1 - 8 of 8 Posts