Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
T3cH Junk13
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Now I'm about as car technical as a parrot. I know how to change spark plugs and a few basics but I'm stumped at turbos and such. The question is:

I hear you lot talking about turbo boost controllers. Does this do just adjustment or can it be used to switch off the turbo all together? I'm thinking petrol saving here and a 2.5l car without a turbo is still going to pack a punch.

Thanks for any help. :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
A turbo car without a turbo won't have punch, the low compression compared to an n/a puts paid to that. To conserve fuel you can just drive off boost or not buy a Skyline in the first place.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
no.just about the oppisite mate.it increases the boost settings ie .5 to .85 or whatever you mods dictate.and you generaly get higher fuel consumption...........woo hoo

·
T3cH Junk13
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@GB: Just thinking about fuel conservation at the moment, but there's no way I'm getting rid of it, it makes me smile too much :)

Thanks for the comments, I'll just try not to kick the turbo in too much but it's so difficult when it's there calling for the pedal to be pushed all the way to the floor...

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
buy a second car and use the skyline at weekends etc....
i use mine everyday though and use more fuel than something that uses a lot of fuel.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
just drive with the boost off as much as poss, thats what i do and it will save on fuel...
it is difficult but just boot it when u have 2.....like when u see boy racer [scum]

·
Registered
161 Posts
most boost controllers work by manipulating the pressure applied on the wastegate of the turbo, so regardless of how low you set the boost on the controller, you're still limited by your wastegate (usually around 7 or 8PSI)... so technically you can't use a boost controller to set a 0 PSI boost.

·
8,249 Posts
Yeh the only way of running near no boost is having the wastegate open all the time,but why would you try to do that,you have a skyline,its giong to use a lot of fuel

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
theres no way to switch off a turbo
without turbo there would not be much punch left
to save petrol wind down the boost

·
8,249 Posts
Thats the thing JBie , you can only run as low as actuator pressure un less somehow the wastegate can be made permanantly open,but why would you not just buy a non turbo version if all you did was drive with no boost

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
bag of sand polishing only works on audis.lol

·
T3cH Junk13
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sandblasting sounds like a grand idea, straight from the bag in to the air intake, that should do it.... let me check what my insurance covers first :shakehead:

I gotta buy a diesel next year for London/Kent runs anyways as there's no way I can afford to daily run 140 mile round trip. Almera Diesel 2.2CDTi should do it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts