Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought (keyword thinking ;) lol) if i turned my boost all the way down i would get better gas mileage while intown driving am i wrong in this thinking would it be better to have my boost turned up to save fuel sorry for the newb question :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
you cant turn your boost down from the stock setting on the actuator as you would have to open the wategate before boost which you cant do really, you would have to remove the actuator and permenantly open the wastegate, Not a good idea the car will not run well at all :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a boost controller that came with my 96 r33 when I purchased it. I hooked it up and my car cuts off at 1.5 bar. I have been told that it is because of the waste gate spring not being able to hold the boost. If I buy a bigger spring will it hurt the turbo and or engine.. Or should I buy a bigger turbo, because it is a stock turbo.

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
I have a boost controller that came with my 96 r33 when I purchased it. I hooked it up and my car cuts off at 1.5 bar. I have been told that it is because of the waste gate spring not being able to hold the boost. If I buy a bigger spring will it hurt the turbo and or engine.. Or should I buy a bigger turbo, because it is a stock turbo.
if its a stock gts-t turbo invest in new waliking shoes,you will soon need them at 1.5 bar

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
A stock turbo will blow itself into pieces in no time at that boost level!

Also the cutting out you are talking about could very much be the stock fuel cut trying to prevent the worst case.

Stop doing silly things, turn the boost down, check what the exact setup of your car/engine is including all the hardware and ideally the map too. Have a read on here in the Tuning section and start reading what needs be done for what stage and it what order. Then start tuning the proper way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the tips.. After I wrote the post I found out that it was the boost level as you all said that was causing the engine to cut off. A safeguard from guys like me driving a car like this...

I'm fairly new to the area and even newer to tuners so I'm kind of doing this off of what I read because other than what I have found on the websites there are not a whole lot of places that I can deal with because either they don't work on this type of car or I cannot communicate because I don't speak German...

Anyway thanks for the direction and if there are any decent places (garages) to take my car to I would appreciate the info. I'm about 45 min southwest of Frankfurt.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
If you can only go from what you read dude then I strongly recommend you start reading and collecting info first and till then keep boost down and right foot light. Honestly everything else will end in tears and big money.

If you are only 45mins from Frankfurt you might want to join our meets in Frankfurt then. Not too many of them during the winter time but defo from April onwards. We will also be driving up to Nurburgring in a convoy for Carfriday 2nd of April. Maybe you wanna hook up too? Have a look at the Carfriday thread in this section.

Give a shout when you around. We could meet up for a beer and have a chat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts