Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im looking to upgrade my r33 gtr's turbos to some larger HKS ones, i would like a large turbo like the gt3240 and then a smaller one to be working whilst the larger one is spooling up something like the gt2510 to reduce turbo lag, i cant remember what this is called but would this set up work or are the turbos too large? also the gt3240 has an external wastegate whilst the gt2510 has an internal one would this cause any problems, if the turbos are too large what are the biggest ones i could fit in bearing in mind that im after more constant power rather than "hang on here comes the boost" so a smaller and larger turbo are more what im after as appose to 2 large turbos that have lots of lag. thanks for any help in advance mx_ell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry should have included that info. im looking for as much power as possible. i am also planning to put in the 3.0l stroker kit, with all the associated upgrades, cams, injectors, ported head etc. i have an open wallet approach to this project im willing to pay what it takes so i don't have to skimp on anything. i want the twin turbo set up so it has minimal lag so it can be used as a daily driver on low boost but has plenty of power for the weekends. i was wondering if i could use a hks 1000ps t51r and a smaller turbo. thanks again mx_ell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so could i have a 1000ps t51r and a smaller turbo aswell? if so what would you recommend for the smaller turbo, or is there a better set up for daily driving

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
What you are talking about is a sequential turbo setup (the twin turbo supra is this design). I haven't heard of anyone attempting this approach. If you really do have an open wallet policy, then the best twin turbo setup that is good for big horse power and daily driveability is twin HKS 3037's on an OS giken RB30 with an OS Giken 6 speed sequential gearbox. Hugh Keir has this setup on his R34 and its awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, thanks for the advice, does Hugh Keirs skyline suffer much lag? what sort of rpm does the boost kick in?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Gtr

Hi m8

If I had the money I woudl get R.I.P.S to build me a RB30 with NOZ and all teh goodies.

Seriously if you do have the money thats who i would be speaking too. alternatively if you have the money you could get a fully built HKS or Top Scret engine built but it will be expensive.

Kev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
this may sound silly but i dont mind replacing all the cars internals but dont want to completely rip and the engine and replace it with a different one. could my idea with the hks t51r and a smaller turbo be done, would it require extreme modification or would it pretty much bolt straight on. the reason i want this is that i know cars with the t51r can produce huge hp but suffer with major turbo lag, as its my daily driver the idea of the smaller turbo which spools up earlier would make it much more daily drivable. thanks again

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
as far as I know the turbo set up you mention isnt possible. there was a thread on this some time far back in the past on the GTR forum, and it was decided that it was financially non viable to have this working because of air flow problems etc.

you are best going for a tried and tested route. unless of course you have oodles of money and an engine dyno to test out the above theories :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh i think ive given up on the sequential turbo idea. does anyone have any experience of the HKS 2835 turbos with a 3.0l stoker kit

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
what mods have you got on the car at the moment? and what do you want to do with the car once finished? that will determine really what turbo's etc you go for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well ideally in the end ill have the 3.0l kit, bigger injectors, better cams, port and polished head, and pretty much anything else i need to support bigger turbos

·
Registered
684 Posts
Your cams will have a big factor on turbo lag and usability of large turbines. GTSS's are very nice. I am currently running exturnally wastegates twin TD05's on my car. From what I have read external wastegate are more pinpoint than actuators are. Dont think that it makes a huge difference. Sounds cool though.

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
If you want a daily driver that will leave everything for dead on the road (not looking at building an out and out drag monster) then consider either a RIPS or OS Giken RB30 (3 litre) with a single HKS TO4Z. Lots of torque, lots of response, minimal lag and very streetable. You will end up with a stupidly quick road car but it won't have the horsepower numbers for showing off in the pub. ('cause torque gives driveability and acceleration).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts