Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly my car has developed rather interesting handling, mailnly veering from side to side at 60+, I have had the steering wheel on and off, so I was thinking I could have tourqued it up wrong, mainly because the steering wheel dosen't sit straight. It is also changes course by itself going over uneven road surfaces to a alarming extent :0 .Or could it just need a wheel alignment?

BTW the car also veers heavily to the left under heavy breaking.

Secondly, the lights in the dash have stopped working, however the warning lights such as handbreak still work, so its just the dials (petrol, revs, kmph). Is there a dimmer switch I have knocked and can't find? If not could it be a fuse etc? If so has anyone got a fusebox diagram?

Cheers

Aidan

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
the veering from side to side will have nothing to do with having removed the wheel mate but by how much is it veering????

the veering to the side under heavy braking is 99.9% brake caliper seizing/pad seized in carrier mate

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its enough to **** me up going at NSL. Possible HICAS problem? That is if RB20E R33 have HICAS.

I think I will try and find a garage in the west mids that could sort the wheel allignment as I have had new wheels on recently and perhaps have a look at the brakes, recommend any jap friendly garages?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
afaik it does still have hicas

maybe that is causing the issue if the wheel was not put back on straight and you didnt reset the hicas ecu

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
im sure there was a thread on this only last week

i think you make sure the front wheels are straight, dissconnect battery, then if the steering wheel aint straight you need to remove it, turn the little plastic disc so it lines up with the back on the wheel where the hole for it is then put the steering wheel back on.

im sure that is how you do it but your better ask speedr33per if that is right

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Ill try that.

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I spanner the wheel back on it stays straight for a bit, then after a few minutes it settles so that it moves about 45 degrees anti clockwise, any ideas?

Cheers

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
it may not be on properly when you first put it on

is there anyone local who has done this before that can help?i

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope

And that is with one mate holding the wheel while I spanner it on, with all my might, lol.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Mine veers to the left all the time and i have had laser alignment, wheels balanced, new tyres and removed the Hicase. i still dont know what it is.

It also has steering wheel wobble over 50 which i cant get rid of, anyone got any ideas???

Its really beggining to get me down and i use the car as a daily driver as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wiv the veering to the left could it be the camber of the road or car following grooves ect, or maybe tyre pressure is lower on the side its pulling to.

but saying that mine pulled to the left but had 2 different makes of tyres on the front so put same make on the front and it cleared it up dont pull at all now!

braking wouldnt that be distalted pads and discs?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
ok you took you steering wheel off right?

you may have knocked the steering wheel angle sensor off "dose it rattle???

Veering to the left could also be front upper strut bush worn get a adjustabale one from JDM garage

Could also be a bent lower track rod end but they should have picked that up on the 4 wheel alingment depends how good there are (like kwik fit NOT)

Wheel wobble sounds to me like a balancing issue get the wheels checked

Also what wheels you got on? I had a bearing fail in a hub once and it elongated the holes on the alloy and it wobbled like ****.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts