Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soz, sure this question bin asked billion time on every forum but...

What make tyres are recommended? Esp., wots good in wet?

Also i notice that some peeps have different profiles front and rear. Ie, 40/17 rear and 45/17 front. Planned to stick with 45s all round unless anyone got any good reasons for lower profiles on rear?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Profile depends on rim sizes Vicky - Mine are 18's so I've got
235/40/18 front and 255/35/18 rear.
I can't remember the standard factory size (16's I think) but I'm pretty sure the profiles should be different front to rear to maintain the rolling radius.:D

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I know Buster swears by his Dunlop Sports and I think Eagle F1s seem to have a strong following.

I have 235/45 front and 255/40 rear on mine although with hindsight would have stuck to 225 on the front as a max.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are profiles lower on rear as standard then?

Thanks for telling me all your preferred choices.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Standard wheel size on the R32=16's,R33=17's,R34=18's(GTR's anyway) I believe the GTST'S are 16's tyres are suppost to be the same size front and rear for all skylines.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
A vote for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's here. Very impressed with the so far....both wet and dry.

Profile will depend on both rim diameter and tyre width. You need to keep the rolling diameter/circumference the same (or close anyway) as the original tyre.
Here's a link to a tyre size calculator

N

·
0 Posts
Big Mark , how was the rainly snowy place ?
Those eagle's are they what rich has fitted ?
very nice tyres , pricey i should think ?

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Rainy snowy place was, well for want of a better expression, SUNNY :cool: However now I AM in a rainy/snowy/fcuking cold place :(

Not sure what Rich has on his, got them on mine though. Price seems comparable to S03's and the like....maybe even a bit cheaper.

For a cheaper tyre, the Falken FK451's seem good. Had them on my previous R33 and they worked surprisingly well.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
NiteskyR said:
how so Nick ?
Everyone that has changed up to 235s or bigger on the front, certainly on the GTT, seems to think there is much better turn in and steering feel and a lot less tramlining with the 225s.

Sadly I had paid for mine by the time I realised this :(

N

·
0 Posts
Thank you Nick , and of course Big Mark who is in the cold , poor bugger.
There you go Vicky ya pays ya money and take's ya pick
Me i think i would try those eagles

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Falken 451's on mine. 225/50x16. Good all round tire with plenty of grip. Seem to be wearing well with plenty left on after ~16K.
Would have them again.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Over the past two years I have (for some unknown reason )managed to get through several sets of rear tyres. On each change I tried a different make and after going from being frightened shitless (Pirelli P6000) to well impressed (Dunlop SP9000) with Eagle F1's a very close second but they wear out quicker than the SP9000. I am on my second set of SP's now.

E

·
0 Posts
Just for the purpose of comparison.

Front 245 x 17 Dunlop Sports
Rear 255 x 17 Falken somethings

Profiles ar 40 & 45 but cant remember which 1 is front & wich 1 is rear.

Have had no probs grip wise with wide fronts but think i`ll go 265 or even 275 rears next time round.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, thanks everyone for telling me your preferred tyres. Seems general consensus is lower profile on rear. :)

E

·
0 Posts
I dont think the rears are lower on purpose. Its because they`re wider the profile needs to be smaller to keep the circumfernce the same. The profile is a percentage of the width. So 245 x 45 x 17 is actually
245mm wide
45 % of width is the profile
17" wheel diameter

If you were go to 255 wide you need to drop the profile to 40% to keep the same circumference

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Another vote for Eagle F1's

235/40-18 Front
255/35-18 rear

Will be changing up to 265 rears next time (255 caused traction control problems on my car)

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Eddie wrote;
I dont think the rears are lower on purpose. Its because they`re wider the profile needs to be smaller to keep the circumfernce the same. The profile is a percentage of the width. So 245 x 45 x 17 is actually....
Lol, cheers Eddie. All past cars have had same width back and front hence my confusion. Finally i get it, feel happier now for understanding technicalities! :eek: :D

Also it appears that wider all round would be better reading all your posts. Currently has 235/45/17 rear and 215/45/17 front. No matter cos gonna get on to it this week anyway.

Thanks again everybody for your help. :)

Found this on my travels. It might be of use, locates tyres in your area;

http://blackcircles.com

1 - 20 of 34 Posts