Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys,

I am about to buy some new wheels for my gts but am unsure of what size tyres to get,am going up to 17's

cheers :confused:

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah well i guess so, its just that i hear of people putting different tyres on the back guess they must have bigger wheels on the back then?

cheers anyway, will just get what i'm given lol

·
Registered
952 Posts
if your talking about tyre sizes then on a 17" wheel most are about 7 wide so u will be looking at 205 or 215.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
just out of interest how wide are standard GTR wheels i've got aftermarket wheels but am toying with the idea of getting some standard wheels but if as skylineboy says there 205/215 i'm going to lose alot of width.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
from memory the R33 has a 245x17 tyre as standard

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
thats not bad then i'd only lose 10mm going to standard wheels or would this make a significant difference to the handling i wonder?

·
Registered
952 Posts
not sure of the width of the gtr ones mate but i know that when i had 7by 17 on my old car they were 205 wide

·
Mmmmm KPG-C10
1,977 Posts
Tyres

Right guys thought I would put my 2pennys worth in. Standard GTR33 Rims are 9" wide, therefore you can get away with a much wider tyre. The perfect tyre size would be 230 width.

Take a rule with inches and mm on, and check out where they meet. Obviously you can go wider, or narrower, depends on what you want...narrower looks real nice, but to pull it off, you need SERIOUS wide rims, 3 or 4 piece splits and then narrow tyre makes it look like the tyre wall is chamfered to the rim.

If you look at 7" wide rims, then 175 or 180 tyres would suit, but to make it look wider, you can get away with 205 or more. But dont forget the wider you go over the wheel width, the more rubber on the wall, so you loose the point in the 1st place of bigger rims with smaller prof.

I am going to run 245's on 9" wheels at the rear, which will give approx 7.5mm over each side of the wheel.

Another thing to take into this, is the profile. This is a % of the width, so I am using 40 prof on the rear with 245's and 45 prof on the front with 225 width. This nearly (to the size of a nats prick) gives you the same rolling radius front and rear.

In addition, I am after some GTR33 Standard rims if anyone has replaced theirs!! Cheers.

·
Mmmmm KPG-C10
1,977 Posts
Hmmmm

At a guess I would say no. For some reason going from 9" to 10" is a huge step up, and you pay through the nose for it! I would guess that they are 9" (or maybe even 8") and they have wider tyres! The rule thingy I mentioned is a rough rule as what tyre to fit to a known wheel width, not working out your wheel width from your tyre size.

Got me some R33 GTR rims yet? :)

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
i was fed up of speculating so took the wheel off 9.5 j on the wheel which is 9 and 1/2 inches with a 10 inch tyre should have done this in the first place i guess but still bigger than standard so i think i'll have to get after market wheels as nismo n1's are a bit dear!

·
Registered
952 Posts
well mine are 235 18 at the front and 265 18 at the rear so what are mine then? was told thats 8.5 front 9.5 rear that right>?

·
Mmmmm KPG-C10
1,977 Posts
Wheels

Nice size! Nismo's are the bollox, wish I had the cash for them. Saw a set of 3 on ebay recently, the guy either wanted another one, or was selling all 3! Good price too....

So what rims are you running now? I am looking for a set of 17" either 8" or 9" width, would like a set of standard R33 GTR, but not many around.

Perhaps I will put a WANTED post up?

·
Registered
952 Posts
im running wheelmania vortex look split rim look almost like the blitz wheels in black chrome finish. 18" by 8.5 width front and 18 by 9.5 rear. and i can still get her sideways even with those widths.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
This will shock alot of you based on the recent comment about 17" wheels having tyres 205mm wide. My old 2.8i V6 Capri that I had was running 205, 60, 13"s Work that one out. lol

·
Mmmmm KPG-C10
1,977 Posts
Width - Grith and all that!

Hi R32GTR - if those 13" wheels were 7" wide (as were my 7x13's for my old beloved 120bhp mini) then the 205's would be perfect! So I'm not shocked really. If they were 3" wide like a wheel barror wheel, then I would be shocked! hehe!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts