Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on Undersealing my car in the next few days and have a few questions!

What is the best stuff to use?
What parts should i underseal and what parts shouldnt I?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I gotsome stuff a few years back called TETRASEAL and its still on there! Got a friend to put it on , rolle the car over an insprection pit and I think he painted it on quite thick with an old paintbrush

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
tetraseal and every where you can mate lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
i used that stuff and it holding out well, got the old girl on the ramp and lashed it on every were takes abit of time to get it in all the nucks an crannies :)

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
before you do any undersealing ensure the underside is bone dry and free of loose rust/dirt

·
Registered
737 Posts
i did mine in work the other day. i work in a bodyshop and we use schultz. you can paint it on but for a better finish its sprayed on with a special gun. i took off all plastic shields first so all the metalwork is exposed then blew off all moisture and dirt. a final rough mask up of things you dont want to get it on like suspension components, exhaust etc and give it 2 coats of the stuff, waiting 30mins between each coat. your car will smell of the stuff for about a week or so though lol.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the tips guys :). will give it a rub down before i do anything.

so stay away from suspension etc and just do the body ununderneath.

going to have to do it on axle stands and with a paint brush unfortunately but will be worth it in tthe end

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used this guy to do mine when it came off the boat back in March

http://www.before-n-after.co.uk/

Expensive at about £500 but he's very highly regarded in the classic car community, and I figure if he can keep 70s British cars from rusting then he must be doing something right.

I'll have to wait until spring before giving a verdict on whether his work was any good or not :)

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
I'm half way through doing mine, done the back so far and I've used Hammerite Waxoil from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_156973_langId_-1_categoryId_165594

I cleaned down where I was to spray with a wire brush as best I could and using the spray gun attachment applied the waxoil, have no ramp so had the car on axel stands so is not a nice job, once the weather gets better \ dryer will finish it off

I also got a can of Hammerite direct to rust to treat any rust I come across

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
empty a few cans of waxoil in the doors seals bonnet and boot as well.

Use the underseal they also make it spray on easy fast and just use a paint brush to get to the awkard bits

Make sure you take all the palastic guards off around the wheel arches and really get up under there. Also take note of around the jacking points.

I actaully painted most of the suspention parts as there's no harm in doing that as long as is not caked in it don't no how long it will last.

Old man used the same staff and techique on an Elegro once and for anyone that knows they were rust buckets yet there was no rust on it when we sold it 10 years later.

Done it all on my drive just used a jack to get under it took 2days mind you.

·
Registered
991 Posts
if you have the money get some 1 else to do it saves you hassle and getting cover in crap lol

i got mine done at my local nissan dealer, took it there on a thersday and picked it up sat. £150+ vat it cost £172.50 in total.... That was with useung waxoil.....

Wot ever way you do it,its worth doing no matter wot :)

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
if your undersealing for the reasons of preventing rust then doing it without stripping stuff off the underneath is pointless,you cover the open areas but miss many of the main points where the rust will actualy start,end result is that it just makes it harder to identify when rusting does start

1 - 16 of 16 Posts