Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

after some fire sleeve that can withstand constant heat of above 600 degrees celcius or above, as its to cover the turbo lines that go through the exhaust manifold. Where can i get it from? All the stuff im finding is for 250 degrees constant and 1000 degrees radiant.

cheers

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
600 Deg C?? That's hot! what wire type are you using at present?
Your quite right about the 'usual' insulated wire being rated at 250 Deg, this is PTFE insulated with a fibregass outer sheave.
You can get just Fibreglass insulated wire that should withstand Very high temperature, this cable is used on ovens, industrial heaters.kilns etc.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
http://www.adlinsulflex.com/firesleeve/pyrojacket/?gclid=CIagsqP6rrQCFW3KtAod-TYAlQ

You'll have to go industrial strength really for your application. This stuff will be ok even if your manifold melts!
Either that or wrap the manifold. I know it's ceramic coated already but you can get ambient temperatures down massively with wrapping. A friend of mine had 300 degrees on his Pulsar before wrapping and then 75 when it was wrapped.

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
Do you have to run the pipework through the manifold? can you not get something longer and reroute?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no the kit was off the shelf sort of thing, and there isnt really a route for it cause of the custom engine mounts. The turbo lines can touch the manifold but dont when sat there, what sort of temps do you reckon a ceramic coated manifold will reach when being driven hard? 600 over kill???

just dont want the braided lines getting cooked / blocking then ****ing somthing up that i could have avoided!

cheers guys will check that link out now as well

Jay

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
LIke I said.. 600 is HOT 250 deg sounds more realistic. Can you access a hand held temp gun? If not, get a temp probe and hold it against your cables that your concerned about.
You'll get High Temp wire off Ebay in small lenghths ( 1m, 2m etc )

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not the wire i need mate, i need a sleeve to go over the oil feed and return lines that go through my ceramic coated inlet manifold. I have access to the heat sensor gun, however the car doesnt run and i need the sleeve fitted before i get the engine hot etc and have to drop the oil again to fit it!!!

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
its not the wire i need mate, i need a sleeve to go over the oil feed and return lines that go through my ceramic coated inlet manifold. I have access to the heat sensor gun, however the car doesnt run and i need the sleeve fitted before i get the engine hot etc and have to drop the oil again to fit it!!!
High Temperature Fibre Glass sleeve then mate:) ( Use this stuff at work ) Again, loads on Ebay, but check your temp coz 600 degree is fooking hot!
If the wire that you are protecting is PVC insulated then it will disintigrate at high temperature so it's worth checking what sort of temp your protecting it from.
I think you find it's at lot lower than what you think it is.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
High Temperature Fibre Glass sleeve then mate:) ( Use this stuff at work ) Again, loads on Ebay, but check your temp coz 600 degree is fooking hot!
If the wire that you are protecting is PVC insulated then it will disintigrate at high temperature so it's worth checking what sort of temp your protecting it from.
I think you find it's at lot lower than what you think it is.
IT'S NOT FOR WIRE! IT'S FOR WATER AND OIL LINES!

The only pipe sleeve that I can find to withstand a constant 500+ degrees is the PyroJacket above. Used in foundries and forges to protect pipe work and electrical cables from molten metal splash and constant high temperatures. I think the easier route is to wrap the manifold. Would be a shame as its all ceramic coated and stuff. Or get done new lines made up and route them elsewhere.

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
you can set this stuff on fire

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/aeroquip-fire-sleeve

good for 450oC but would take forever to wrap round the cables lol... could cover the conduit in it tho?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/design-engineering-reflect-a-gold

this will definatly do the trick but the price is a bit hot <- terrible pun

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/design-engineering-fire-wrap-3000

thing is, reading the product decriptions the exhaust wrap is only rated to 650oC... so thats the max they can do... in theory the manufacturers would build in a safty gate of a hundred or more Oc...

your ceramic coating is going to have brought that down (Get in touch with the people that did it and ask them how much by?) if you then exhaust wrap ontop of that you should be looking at really low temps. so maybe then you can exhaust wrap the lines and KNOW 100% there is no chance of any problems? cheaper too

·
Seasoned Member
941 Posts
IT'S NOT FOR WIRE! IT'S FOR WATER AND OIL LINES!

The only pipe sleeve that I can find to withstand a constant 500+ degrees is the PyroJacket above. Used in foundries and forges to protect pipe work and electrical cables from molten metal splash and constant high temperatures. I think the easier route is to wrap the manifold. Would be a shame as its all ceramic coated and stuff. Or get done new lines made up and route them elsewhere.
Why did I think you were wanting to protect wires:sorry:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers guys!
what are other peoples manifolds temperatures reaching??? want the easiest option really, which is cover the wires, but if im getting too high temps still when it is running and its affecting the brakes or clutch then i will have no choice but to heat wrap the manifolds as well :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts