Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that about a year back a member of this forum posted a very innovative, logical, lateral-thinking and perhaps just inexpensive way of permanently (unlike those stickers that motorists use) being able to convert the beam pattern from RHD to LHD.

Apparently they simply removed the lenses (i.e. the 4 x lamp unit lenses rather than the outer headlamp 'aerodynamic' covers) and then "turned them inside out"

Of course this makes perfect sense to me, in theory, as the beam diffraction is thus totally REVERSED and this achieves the objective completely so that I can make the car approvable for the Spanish authorities when I register it in Spain later this year ...

My question however is: is it necessary to use adhesive of some sort to re-stick the lenses to the lamp units once that I have 'inverted' the lenses ... or will I need new clips, screw points etc ...

I just wondered if anyone might know about this ...

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I would use clear bathroom sealant if it was me. Then again, I am a fan of HillBilly solutions :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use clear bathroom sealant if it was me. Then again, I am a fan of HillBilly solutions :D
:rofl:

Not sure if you are serious on this one, or just semi 'tongue-in-cheek' ... I haven't taken apart a Series 1 R33 GTST headlamp unit as yet ... does the lens bond to the lamp/reflective part via an adhesive or via clips or screws?

:feedback:

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I don't know how they attach personally having never taken them apart, but I'm serious about the sealant :bigthumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, Thanks for that ... my only concern would be whether the heat that the unit generated was too much for such a 'rubbery'/'silicony' substance ...

I guess I am really going to have to take the units apart to see how things all go together ... but, heck, it's gotta be worth looking into ... given how simple and relatively cheap the solution seems to be to an otherwise pain-in-the-ass and pricey problem!

:cheers:

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
The glass is held in place with three metal clips, nothing else.

You cannot re-use the metal clips if you flip the glass around, as the glass is not square. It is slightly taller on one side, and the sides are slightly off to one side.

Please see the attached illustration for details.

Using a glue or bond, I'm sure you could make them fit. Whether it will give you a correct light pattern or not remains to be seen though.

I have glued my own projector lights on to the reflector the same way you would do with the glass, so temperature is not an issue provided the glue is high quality.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts