Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
I got a 1992 GTST that groans at 40mph+ and vibrates at about70mph+. It's f***ing annoying as it has just started happening 1 month into owning it. I had 2 poeple check the wheel bearings and they said they are fine?? as it sounds like a wheel bearing?? I changed the prop shaft as i had a spare but to no avail. My only other suspision is the engine mounts or gearbox mount. I done the sit in and release the clutch whilst someone looks at engine test and there is a little 1cm play on the engine...is that normal?? And i drove at 50mph, put it in neutural and switched the engine off but the noise is still there?? It gets louder as you go faster and turns from a groan (like a knackerd wheel bearing) to a vibration what drowns out all engine noise at about 70mph+. Can anyone shed some light as to what the fu** it is?? excuse my language but it really is pissing me off.
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Although, it isn't much help to you, but i have a similar problem, can hear it about 40. At first i thought it was the wheel bearing, but a friend said it wasn't as there should be a bit of play in the wheel, yet nothing.

It is definatley a groaning sound rather than the knackered wheel bearing whinning sound.

So i would like to hear suggestions too :)

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
does it increase in noise if you go round either corner, you can check a wheel bearing for play but for noise its cornering.....also i would put yr car up on axle stands and stick it in 4th to see if its yr diff, the noise can travel along to sound like something up front....but from yr description i'd say diff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, i'll try the 4th gear test. lucky enough i got a spare diff but i looks like a pig of a job. Know any good skyline mechanics in west sussex area??

·
Registered
48 Posts
This may seem obvious, but check your wheel nuts, and nuts on spacers (if fitted). If these are not fully tightened then that can cause 'noises'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions, I did check the wheel nuts and they are all good. Thanks foe recomendation aswell, i give him a ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts