Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this may not be the right place to post this, i have tried the advise in other threads from peeps with similar prob but cant seem to get to the bottom of it.

Usual thing car feels fine, but at and above 70 the steering wheel starts to shake quite violently. Funny thing is sometimes if i turn left it goes away only to return when i straighten up :wtf:

i dont want to change parts on the front for the sake of, but i have put new discs on care of yourselves:bigthumb:had the wheels balanced i dont know how many times, swapped the tyres over, and been under it checking all the bushes track ends, steering rack etc and it all 100%

weird thing is it wasnt a problem before i replaced the TOTALLY dead tension bushes but this i would think only highlighted the problem. I need to get this sorted as you can imagine it doesn't bode much confidence sat on the Mway at 70 with the wheel shaking like dog at the vets!!!!

Any advice would be greatly received
:cheers:
Kevin

·
516ATF and RWD......Nutter!!
1,685 Posts
Are your wheels aftermarket?
If so the centre bore might be slightly different.
Had the same problem until I fitted spigot rings.....steady as a rock now.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi.
Had a similar problem with my car,
Changed the steering rack bushes, made a big difference even though the old ones looked ok till they were removed!!! Bushes can look ok but still be knackerd you need to give em a good tug with a pry bar to be sure.
Also check spiggot rings wheels/tyres for damage. If this only started after fitting new discs also check runout of discs. A tiny bit of dirt or rust between disc and hub can cause vibration at speed, not just under braking, although the latter is more likely. Sticking / seized caliper pistons can also cause vibration after fitting new brakes as the pistons are pushed all the way back in.
Jono.

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ive had this prob for a while thought it could be a warped disc so changed them, they were getting thin too but this made no difference. I made sure i gave the calipers a good clean and free up at the same time to make sure it all moved freely.

Ive got aftermarket work rims, the spigots seem the right size and not damaged. How can i be sure they're the right size??

Was thinking of new bushes as the cars 15yrs old now, but its knowing which to do first and where to stop...is it worth changing the track rod ends even tho i cant see any play in them?? How much work was it to change the rack bushes??

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Hi there- sorry to hear about your vibration problem.

One thing I would say is make sure you only change a single thing at one time. Otherwise you will never know exactly what it was causing the problem.

Its interesting that new tension rod bushes made the problem worse.

I also note that turning the wheel stops the problem, but when the wheel comes back to straight ahead the vibration returns.

Have you checked the 'King Pin' for play? Its where the hub joins to the large cast upright...

Chris

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
If you haven't already changed the Steering Rack bushes we can do them in uprated Superpro Poly bushes...

To be honest the price is excellent for an uprated part.

As your track rod ends appear to be in good shape it might be worth carefully considering what else is worn in the system. Have you checked the 'King Pins' in the cast uprights?

Chris

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!! :) Thinking it must be to do with steering in some way. Are the rack bushed DIY or do i need special tools? I'm pretty handed but not changed a set before...

By king pins do you mean what are sometimes called ball joints??

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi.
I changed the steering rack bushes on mine. It took me about an hour.
Its only 4 bolts but they are quite tight. You can then easily remove the old bushes and feed the new ones in to place. Putting the new ones in is harder than removing the old ones!! Use loads of WD.
The king pins are bearings located in the front uprights.
If you remove the wheel and turn the steering you will see that the upright is in 2 parts. The lower part rotates and the upper part is stationary.
Check for movement at the join between both parts.
Hope this helps.
Jono.

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah brilliant stuff thanks R33Jono!! Hopefully i'll get a chance to get under and have a squint, try and make use of CT's xmas offers now too LOL with some nice new bushes :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts