Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
nutter
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok folks, another daft question. a mate of mine who also has a 33gtst, has just rug me and tells me his viscous fan is running all the time from startup, 20 minute journey car warmed up ok etc.

can anyone offer any help,

eg how is the fan controlled (could it be a remote component?) like a stat or temp switch on the water side?

or should it run 24/7? mine doesn't

or is something else cooked causing this problem

cheers

simon.:)

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
The viscous fan will turn all the time , the coupling works like a clutch slipping when cold and locking up more as the temp increases.

·
nutter
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok folks, another daft question. a mate of mine who also has a 33gtst, has just rug me and tells me his viscous fan is running all the time from startup, 20 minute journey car warmed up ok etc.

can anyone offer any help,

eg how is the fan controlled (could it be a remote component?) like a stat or temp switch on the water side?

or should it run 24/7? mine doesn't

or is something else cooked causing this problem

cheers

simon.:)

ok, more info, it seems to be running flat out all the time ie, the fan seems to be unnaffected by temperature and doesn't slow down when the car is warm

if that helps with any diagnosis more help would be appreciated:apuke:

cheers

simon

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
if its making a whirring noise when you rev, its cattl trucked my 32 did this last year just bought a replacement item

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
A viscous fan runs all the time, the speed of the fan changes with engine revs and temperature to a degree but never stops all the time the engine is running.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The way to see if its working is to try and stop it while its hot and the engine is running. Make sure you have a very heavy duty glove on though or you might loose a few fingers. Try it when the engine is cold and it should be very easy to stop it, when its hot there should be resistance as if its locked to the engine.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I stopped mine with bare fingers yesterday and now I have a blister on my thumb :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
iv got exactly the same problem, iv been told its the viscous coupling thats gone. thinking of replacing it with a electric fan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts