Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get this?

After medium / harsh driving, or on first start i get a stong smell of petrol.

Cant find any leaks, always just put this down to the fact these cars run rich

any comments ?

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
I can smell it when it first starts, (If i have the window open)

not normally after a drive though, but yea they do run rich! can deff smell it in the Idle...

Cheers
Dazzler

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the harsh driving smell may be due to a missfire i have at the minute leaving some unburnt fuel hanging about

·
Registered
366 Posts
when you say you can smell petrol, do you mean raw fuel?
or the smell of the excess fuel thats coming out of the exhaust?

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
it shouldnt smell of fuel from the exhaust...

it should run 14.7:1 the same as any other car at idle and if it does not then as well as borewash the engine (which requires rebuild to correct) it will kill the cat

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've noticed this recently - but only after I had a new downpipe and de-cat fitted??

AND

I only notice it with Optimax - If I run BP or ESSO higher octane fuels I don't get any smell. It was the exact same when I had my Corrado de-catted - and only with Optimax (I personally think that optimax smells a bit like cat pee - used to think I had a cat secretly pissing on my car through the night!)

Also only really notice it while car is on choke when first started in the morning or when reversing into a parking space - but only when the window is open.

TFS - you've started getting me worried - is this really the signs of a sh*gged engine??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine does after a fill up. Smells worse with Vpower because to me its a stronger smell then the rest because of the detergents.

Mine is because there is no pipe or filter on the outlet of my oil catch tank, until tommorow anyways :)

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine is totally decatted, and yep i get the same its just with V-power

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
I've noticed this recently - but only after I had a new downpipe and de-cat fitted??

AND

I only notice it with Optimax - If I run BP or ESSO higher octane fuels I don't get any smell. It was the exact same when I had my Corrado de-catted - and only with Optimax (I personally think that optimax smells a bit like cat pee - used to think I had a cat secretly pissing on my car through the night!)

Also only really notice it while car is on choke when first started in the morning or when reversing into a parking space - but only when the window is open.

TFS - you've started getting me worried - is this really the signs of a sh*gged engine??
its the sign of a shagged lambda, shagged AFM, leaky fuel pipe, poor octane etc but not a shagged engine....a shagged engine is the result of ignoring the smell

when the car is on "choke" (ie. cold) it will use extra fuel, this is fine

if the car prefers esso...give it esso!:guiness:

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
most noticeable times for me are

First start
after harsh driving then stopping
the old reverse into a carparking space

hope nowts broke argh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts