Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I live on the flight path of the US jets at RAF Marham, I am continually missing the low flying jets as by the time I hear them approach and grab my camera they are gone...

However today I hear a different noise, so I go for the camera fumbling to switch it on, and luckily I have left the settings from the day before when I had failed miserably to catch a Lancaster or Wellington accompanied by a couple of Spitfires or Hurricanes.

Anyway this time I have time to switch on and get the lens cap off in time to get a few shots of a low flying Vulcan bomber...chuffed to bits as the last time I saw one was when I was a kid, anyway not great pics but it may be the last time I ever see a Vulcan in flight.:)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Nice pics mate... These used to make our house rattle many years ago living near raf waddington, nowadays the planes have already gone past by the time you hear them..

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice pics mate. One of my most favourite planes of all time. I Was like a kid at Christmas seeing it fly at Waddington.:)

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Well done you for getting pic's in flight of a amazing plane

Did any of you see the documentary a few nights back about the falklands ? Was a hour of tv that was worth watching for once lol

I did have some pics of the one near me at Southend airport with the sun setting , ill post them if I ever find them on the old PC

BTW there is a open day soon to visit the Vulcan on the 29th Sept last one this year

http://www.avrovulcan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=219:vtv-day-article&catid=1:news&Itemid=21

·
Registered
384 Posts
One of the guys on the Vulcan restoration team lives near here so they did a flypast over hastings in the summer, was awesome. Always one of my favourites since I was a kid but seeing it over home town rather than at an airshow is brilliant. Best part was at the end when it turned out to sea, gave it some welly and set off pretty much every car alarm in the car park!

Great pics!

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Vulcan among others hold a special place in my memories because as a kid I was into planes big time, and I also had the pleasure of living at the end of RAF Biggin Hill runway before it became civilian, so I got to see lot of RAF jets, and also got to see all the air show put on there.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mind if I steal that last pic, the dark blue one, it will make a great desk top pic.
No problem if you just want a desktop pic.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've got some old clocks from a Vulcan in the attic somewhere, my mum was mad on the Lancaster bomber and a very good neighbour who was in the raf at the time fixed it for her to sit in it, she said it was the best day of her life, they gave her the clocks and a certificate,

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have a memory from back then of sitting on a style at the end of the runway watching the practicing for the displays, and being buzzed by a Navy Buccaneer at about 2o to 30 feet from behind, so I didn't hear him coming, needless to say a fell of the style, and I am sure the pilot was pissing himself.

·
Lincolnshire Area Rep
2,271 Posts
I've got some old clocks from a Vulcan in the attic somewhere, my mum was mad on the Lancaster bomber and a very good neighbour who was in the raf at the time fixed it for her to sit in it, she said it was the best day of her life, they gave her the clocks and a certificate,
Jim if one of the Vulcan clocks you have got is an air speed indicator you could set it up as a big boost gauge.:dogpile:

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Nice pics! I was lucky enough to get to Waddington airshow this year and it was really to see the Vulcan (I promised myself to go and see it flying while it's still possible). Absolutely incredible to watch and hear. A true icon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts