Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
On the other side of the world in a 5.4ltr V8!
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who drives the water pump off the the cam belt?

The missus's beetle started to misfire the other day. No other codes, just misfire on cylinder 3 and 4.

Did some digging around the engine couldn't see anything obvious but notice a bit of water coming out of the bottom of timing case, set the cam timing markers up and the crank marks are out. Whip the covers off and low and behold, the water pump is rolling around on an oval! The belt was slack and jump a tooth or two!

Lucky I caught it! If that had of failed completely it would of been new engine time due to how it's driven off the cam belt.:spank::40oz:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Pretty sure my old nova engine was the same and so were all my honda prelude. f20a and h22a. plus my b16a crx.A new water pump is recommended at the time of renewing timing belt for obv reasons

·
Registered
243 Posts
As above, thought loads of cars ran the water pump off the cambelt. certainly true for pugs as well as fiats iirc

·
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought they got run off the serpentine belt. Mine is.

Well it's a design that needs changing!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
99% of all engines have the water pump run off the timing belt and it is an effective design bar a few

·
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seem to remember my e36 was off the fan belt as well...

It's still a **** design! Lol

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
only pre 92 3 series bmws had a belt and pre 95 3 series wagon had a belt.rest are chain as been said

·
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really fussed if it's common or not, I just think its a crap design.

*nips into the shed to knock up something better* :)

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Not really fussed if it's common or not, I just think its a crap design.

*nips into the shed to knock up something better* :)
Ever wondered why they do this?? Because its very effective. If your water pump was on the aux belts and one of those belts came loose (or was slipping), what would happen if you went on a nice drive and didnt take notice of the gauge? Simples the car would over heat and cook!

No chance of this happening on a cam belt driven pump, therefore being a very effective design.

May seem stupid but think about it.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
you usually find on the vw engines that when you go for a second time belt change at prescribed interval they also recommend changing the water pump
to avoid failure (everything has a life span)

simon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts