Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how long do you wait before you start to drive your precious?

I generally wait until the water temperature is around 70+ degrees (5-15 minutes depending on the weather), I guess thats waiting longer than necessary or am I completely a newbie about this? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I generally wait until the water temperature is around 70+ degrees (5-15 minutes depending on the weather)

That's taking things a bit too far imho. Don't get me wrong though, I never boost fully until the car is at normal operating temp (roughly half gauge) but driving off boost on a cold engine is not something I personally would worry about.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
of course not, 70 degrees is still a bit below the normal resting place at 80-82 degrees so I wouldn't be boosting until that stage has come onto the needle / meter)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
i always wait till my temps at 82, then give it abit longer....

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Same as - I try to keep under 2500/3000rpm until I reach this point. Does take about 10-15 mins. A shame really as my daily commute is about 15 mins!
Hahaha same here lol.

I start her up wait about 2mins till the oil pressure has dropped a bit then start driving, staying under 2500rpm. As soon as i pull into the work car park its at playtime temperature :(.

Does anyone leave there's running for a bit after a short drive with no boost or just turn it straight off?

I normally give it a minute with the turbo timer. Is it pointless?

Also if your not hitting boost is the turbo still spinning?????

Sorry for thread hijack im a proper nubz0r sometimes!

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,702 Posts
nice topic,

some people advise to drive the car right away but just dont boost it until fully warm as sitting in the driveway, the engine is not getting as much cold air and is heating up quicker then normal

either way, i let mine idle for approx 60 secs before i pull away and then the turbo timer is set to 60 seconds once i stop but again some people advise to drive the last 3-5 mins off boost instead of the car stopped and getting limited cold air in

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I've been driving without boost I usually don't wait long before turning mine off.
If I've been playing a bit too much with it I'll wind off the boost a good 10 minutes before I'm gonna park and I also let it stand for 1 minute or so after parking.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I drive mine around 2500K until the OIL is at running temperature, I then drive as normal. Oil takes longer than the water to heat up, its the oil you want doing its job efficiently IMHO.

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,702 Posts
I drive mine around 2500K until the OIL is at running temperature, I then drive as normal. Oil takes longer than the water to heat up, its the oil you want doing its job efficiently IMHO.
agree, its the oil temp/pressure that needs to be right before you head off

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's all about avoiding the boost for me when the engine's cold ... for me that's more important than what revs she's doing - don't get me wrong though, I won't rev it more than 3,000 (maybe 3,500 tops but only if vitally necessary e.g. to avoid an accident when pulling out of turning in rush hour) when cold, but I do use a fantastic fully synthetic oil with excellent viscosity ranges.

But I really have to be careful with the turbo as it's still only the stock one (mind you being Series 1 it's apparently a little 'tougher' than the Series 2 one) and it's been tweaked both in increased boost levels and also with stage 1 of the boost being removed so it spools to Hi-Boost that much more easily .... so I really have to keep the ''load'' nice 'n' gentle while the car is still cold.

The oil pressure gauge is apparently pants - or so I hear so often on this site - so I dont take any of the readings as gospel ... but when the needle drops sufficiently (normally after 10 minutes of driving or so) then I get that the oil is hot enough for me to start giving it some!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
idleing the car to warem is a big no no, worst thing you could do to warm it up

drive off real gentle straght away....keep off boost till oil temp is at normal
I Agree ^^^^ Excessive idling is a big no no it promotes glazing of the
bores and increased oil sludge deposits, idle for 2-3 mins max then drive
off avoiding high revs eg. over 2500-3000, and try not to lug the engine
either,eg 4th gear uphill at 1200
I only connect up the oil cooler on my gtr if it going to be used on track
i found that it was taking forever for the oil to get to any kind of temperature when driving gently in traffic, just my 2ps worth

·
R33 GTST Owner.
244 Posts
Use common sense you can drive it off on a cold engine just dont take it onto boost until its warmed up.. drive it off boost when your going to park up for a bit and maybe let it idle for a minute or two then knock the engine off.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I try to wait till its fully warmed up ,but i think we all might be guilty of pulling out of that junction a little quick to get into a gap in the traffic. Sometimes it cant be avoided. Or it might be my weak mind ("got to boost, got to boost, got to boost")

1 - 20 of 21 Posts