Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one.....

When I was out in the car earlier I noticed a warning light quickly flash up a couple of times on the dash. Its on the right hand side of the instrumant panel, it was yellow/orange looking. I dont have an owners manual or anything, what does that light mean?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, its a R33 GTST. It came on when I hit 6500rpm, cant quite recall what gear I was in. It flashed up just as I was about to change gear then went away and never came back again. I`m using V-Power. Fuel pump i`m not too sure on. Its had some mods done in japan but not sure if the fuel pump was done or not. It buzzes quite loud though!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its got a power fc, fitted in japan. The only other mods I can tell are exhaust, air filter, boost controller set to 0.85bar. As its got the power fc I would have assumed the fuel pumps been done but cant say for sure :confused:

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
ok as its a powerfc, it could be a few things...

knock/det, injectors maxing out or AFM's maxing out. (or near).

at .85 bar it's unlikely to be the injectors or AFM, so I would still be pointing towards detonation.

do you have a hand commander?

has it been mapped in the UK at all?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its got a hand commander, it just sits in the glove box and hasnt been touched! lol. Its not even been on a rolling road since its been in the UK, any mapping was done in Japan

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
in that case it needs to be mapped to run on UK lower octain fuel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Could I get away with just turning the boost down a touch for now?

Dont really want to get a mapping session done until i`ve got some more "go faster" bits so I can make the most of it

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
yes, turn it right down and try not to boost it at all...

Unlike a standard ECU the powerFC cannot compensate for lower octane fuel so will just carry on killing your pistons instead of retarding the ignition. It needs a remap, or for the time being run on the base map which should be alot safer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I`ve only had the car just over a week and last night was the first time the light came on. I`ve also known the last 2 owners (the first being the one that bought the car from the original import dealer) and they never had any problems. I dont understand why the light would only show up now after being run on UK fuel for the last 4 years or so :confused:

I will be turning the boost down though :)

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
All the things Hi5 said are right. I just wanna give you one more thought. It could be also your lambda sensor! I had the same on mine. Light came on for short time and went away immediately - at that time no change in performance. Connected it to Consult II, ECU readout, gave me lambda sensor error, replaced it with new one, running fine now...

Just a thought and maybe worth a try. :cheers:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I right in thinking the power fc has some sort of data log on it? If anyone knows how I can get the readout from it I can see what the ecu logged as the fault. If only I had the instruction manual..... lol

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
it doesnt have a log, sorry

you should really be using the hand commander thats in your glove box, it provides peak data for the last 5 minutes. Plus you should be looking at it anyway to see how the car is running generally too.

If you come down to this mondays meet I'll show you how if you like :) (im adamr on sjc)

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts