Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Cunning Linguist
13,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I thought I would post this up as a warning to others.

A few members on here have had the misfortune of their carbon bonnets flipping up on them when driving.

This seems to be a general flaw with all bonnet, no matter the supplier.

As far as I am aware, the standard front catch is not suitable to secure the bonnet, please note the following pictures:

Carbon bonnet flipped up on Hwoarang at Castle Coombe action day (note big chiefs chunkies in the pic)

Here are pictures of mine from the same time showing hair line cracks around the hasp, These appeared about 3 months after fitting. I now have an external crack on the front of the bonnet above the hasp.

For the cost of some pins or aerocatches, it really is not worth risking A, your carbon , B, your windscreen & roof or C, possibly having a dangerous accident.

I will ask anyone who has a carbon bonnet on a GTT to inspect their bonnets for cracks, and post any images of them or subsequent damage due to it flipping up.

·
White/carbon r34
1,051 Posts
try not to fill this with writing, keep it to pics and short explanations. so we know more about peoples misfortunes.
but this is serious, you could be left with a massive bill.

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
I've always thought it was essential to use bonnet pins with any CF bonnet.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i always thought you only needed aero catches if you did high speeds...well over the speed limit??...
nope. any speed really when you have a grp or ' carbon ' bonnet ( its only the top layer on most bonnets thats carbon ) you should have pins or catch's fitted. im getting some fitted next week!

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
I've changed the title as this is relevant to ALL Skylines, pins are a must with these bonnets.

·
Holy f**k sir are we really on our roof?
1,327 Posts
This happened a guy with a 900+bhp r34 gtr down the road from me doing nearly the double ton! Scary scary stuff, i need pins for mine

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
I don't do twisties!!
1,541 Posts
Just to add to this, my standard R33 GTR bonnet was moving around at speed, I couldn't keep it stable no matter what I tried with adjustments, and after seeing pictures of damage caused by a metal bonnet lifting I had aero catches fitted which have now totally secured the bonnet at all speeds :)

Mine are positioned as such because I chose to keep the standard bonnet catch in place for now so I have 3 secured points.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.