Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Am I right in thinking that the wastegate is located on top of the engine, next to the cast induction pipe and connected to the inlet manifold via 2 flexi pipes and one solid?

Cheers,
Pad

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooops! What the hell is that on the top then!?

So, back to my original thread - is it an internal wastegate or external?

Cheers,
Pad (a so called engineer as well :( )

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Yes I concur Richard, it is in integral wastegate as standard on the inside of the exhaust housing before the downpipe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers,

As the wastgate is integral to the turbo, is it still a diaphragm mechanism that is commonly used on external wastegates?

Can I get to the pipework (pre wastgate) easily?

Sorry, been a bit of a muppet but its the first time I have started poking around in there...

Cheers,
Pad

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
the wastegate is a metal FLAP. with an arm which extends to the external side of the turbo hence the Actuator arm reaching to he front of the turbo, can be seen on most turbos.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - if you would indulge me and further my turbo learning... :)

Where does the pressure build from in order that the actuator opens the wastegate at a given pressure?

Thanks again,
Pad

E

·
0 Posts
Gtirpad i just did a search & found a pretty good article on turbo mechanics. Take a look.
Even better would be to go to a tuner & see if they`ve got any blown (or new) turbos lying around you can look at. Its quite simple once you`ve seen 1 off a car. I learnt about them by changing 1 myself on my old Lancia.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/how_turbos_work.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts