Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.....

Hypothetical question, probably one for Oilman or one of the other trader guru’s on the forum but everyone is free to poke fun at me ;)

Why do we change our oil filters so frequently?

Oil changing I understand, turbo charged cars driven *cough* hard (mine at least) breaks down the chemical nature of the oil thus it has to be changed regularly.

The Oil filter in my skyline is the same as an ASPERATED Nissan Micra (and a few other non-turbo Nissans). The same filter when fitted to these other aspirated cars lasts 10-15k miles (average oil change frequency on a bog standard 1l Nissan Micra) but only last 5k in the car with a tubby?

Some of you could argue that the composition break down of the oil in a turbo engine will form more particulates than a non-turbo engine. However I'd disagree with this for two reasons;

1. I've opened previous filters and found no excess of particulates present (none at all once the oil is drained). I'm guessing that's a good thing...

2. When oil (systems) break down they don’t tend to exhibit coagulation characteristics (coagulation = transformation of liquid to solid or semi-solid states). I don't claim to be an oil expert but I did spend three year of my life going a chemistry degree so have a passing knowledge of molecular interactions. Oil guru’s may shoot me down on that one ;)

We’ll Saturday night randomness out of the way, I’m off to see if the oil’s finished draining from the car....(& its stopped snowing....)

Adrian/DS

·
Seasoned Member
9,196 Posts
simple reason IMO is for the sake of a few quid it'd be stupid not to, also its a filter so whatever its catching you dont really want in your new oil either, also the oil lasts longer in an NA car too so why change that??? to keep the car to its upper most perfect performance wise,

BUT thats just my opinion and random thinking.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
upper most perfect performance wise
I'd agree that the filter is a small cost (compared to the OIL price) but you're working on the assumption that the removed filter is no longer working optimally after only 5k on a tubby engine? That a big leap from a working filter on a non-tubby car that going to go for 10-15k before change...

This is all hypothetical. I'm going to keep changing mine regardless, you'rev right as its not worth the risk but i did stop this evening as i had the old filter in my hand and think "are you really spent???"

Right, oil's done so beer is now opened ;)

·
In dentibus anticis frustum magnum spiniciae habes
9,524 Posts
exactly what mick said, the whole point of the oil filter is to filter out any shite in the oil, you change the oil you change the filter too. If you didnt then you run the risk of flushing fresh oil in with any shitty oil left in filter, the new oil may pick up any shite left in that filter,

basically its shitty shite

so do yourself a favour and buy a Nissan Micra Oil filter for approx £2 - £4 and save in the long run.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
dont realy think its a case of "optimum performance" more a "if thers any sh1t in there i dont want it in my nice clean oil/engine"

·
Registered
369 Posts
i normally change oil filter once for every two oil changes as the filter will last longer than the oil before the need to change, but every1 goes on about engine oil after 5000-6000 miles well what about gearbox oil and diff oil, how often do you or should you change them???

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
you should teest this theory out on your car see what happens i havent changed my fuel filter in 5 years and nothings wrong yet
But this a thread about oiil filters which are completely different .

Its simple. It probably does not NEED changing but

filter £4-£8 RB engine rebuild £4-£8k

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.