Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent starter fault on my BNR32, Its only happened twice and the last time it happened I ended out me calling the AA out to Wynyard Services ( this Sunday, and the wife was not pleased).
The first time it magically cleared over night.

I turn the ignition on
all the dash lights light up as expected
Turn the key to initialise the starter NOTHING. Not even a click !!

The AA guy gave the starter a direct feed and it fired up straight away, and said there is a fault from the ignition barrel to the solenoid as its not getting a signal:confused:
As the starter worked as above I rule out the imoboliser playing up.

Its now back working as normal but I cant get my head around why its happening so intermitantly
Any one got any Idea what it could be ? how to diagnose ? has any one had the same problem and can point me in the right direction? Can any one explain the wiring path from the ign barrel to the starter ?
TIA
Kevin

·
Registered
654 Posts
Could be faulty ign switch the bit behind the barrel.
next time it plays up jingle the key. or if you have the couling off give it a tap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the car already had an immobiliser on it that worked fine but i had it upgraded
to cat1 alarm aswell and shortly after had this problem ,it's been back to the alarm installers but he says it's nothing he's done.

it'll start fine one morning i'll drive to work and start it to come home again but next morning it'll blow the ignition fuse trying to start ,fit another fuse
and it'll start ,really confusing ,sometimes it's a if the battery is flat but leave it a few hours and come back to it and it'll start first time :confused: :confused:

·
Seasoned Member
7,044 Posts
might b a sticky starter but i would check wiring first on starter b4 you remove it other wise you will still have the same problem and wasted time and money changing stater if wireing at fault
i would work by process of elimination and start with the cheapest

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you manage to fix this cause i've got exactly the same problem :confused:
Not looked at it yet , although It was happening more frequently just before my hols, got back from them and the battery was flat, noticed one of the terminals was not tight so I've recharged battery and fastened the terminals nice and tight and problem han not yet raised it's ugly head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
it's getting worse and doing it more :Uzi:

just been out in it and now it has blown the ignition fuse whilst driving,
lost all power and coasted to a stop.

i was on my way to buy a new battery ,bought one fitted it and it hasn't made any difference.

just taking the cowlings off the steering column and the one thing that jumped out straight away there is two brown plugs not connected
one has a blue/red wire coming from the harness and the other has a red/black wire coming from the ignition ,anybody know exactly what they are
and would they have been disconnected for a reason when the alarm was installed ???

please help this is ruining my love for the car i want to go to trax tommorrow

thanks mat

·
Registered
31 Posts
it appears to be a short in the coilpack loom or ignitor module ,start the car wiggle the coilpack loom and it blows the ignition fuse :bash: :bash:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts