Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Camel Spotter
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R-33 GTR's gearbox has been doing the synchro crunch thing recently. I originally thought it might just be old oil, so tried some shiny new Amsoil Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube - good stuff, but not cheap at just over 13 squid a quart. Did this a week or so ago. The old stuff looked horrible and really stank, so I was quite hopeful.

Unfortunately, the bloody thing still went crunch :|, so I got some Redline Shockproof Heavy after reading through the forums. Set out putting it in today. The amsoil that I drained looked pristine - brought a tear to my eye to see all that cash going into the drain tank :(.

That redline looks like paint eh. And it's a bugger to pump into the box.

And then the fun.... my pump has a clear silicon pipe with a plastic doofa in the end, which has some ribs on it. I left it on as it seemed to make thepipe catch in the filler hole, and stop it dropping out... about 2 litres pumped into the box, and the pump's pipe drops out of the filler hole... minus the plastic bit :eek7:

oshitoshitoshitoshit..!!!! Various thoughts along the line of 'how the hell am I going to get that out' to 'I wonder if the plastic's soft enough to get mashed up without doing any damage...?'

Nothing for it but to open the drain plug...again...drop tthe fluid...again... and thank flock the plastic came out with the gush... phew!

And then I got rained on trying to give the darn car a clean ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Haven't driven it with the redline yet... we'll see tomorrow...

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
sounds like you had fun:dogpile:

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Ahh the good oh **** oh **** on **** moment.... and then the sigh of relief or outlay of cash to fix

I think everyones been there sometime or other especially owning a skyline.....

·
Camel Spotter
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the redline has certainly improved things. It's not perfect, but definately better. A bit clicky between some gears, but no longer graunching.

Think I'll keep my eyes open for a knackered box and investigate some uprated internals...

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Where did you buy the redline from Bernie?

·
4,143 Posts
I hate doing the oh **** momments,last time it happened to me i dropped a torx bit down a oil line in my 5k 2.1 pinto in my mk1 rs2000.

·
4,143 Posts
no chris by the sounds of things redline isn't going to sort your gearbox trouble out.when you get synchro when its not even in gear its synchro replacement or new box!

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
no chris by the sounds of things redline isn't going to sort your gearbox trouble out.when you get synchro when its not even in gear its synchro replacement or new box!
Bollox :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts