Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so can someone fill me in on what rotor and pad sizes I would need for my 1995 R33 GTS-T? I see here and other threads that the GTS-T rotors are 296mm. Is that the case for front and back? If so would the 297mm dia, 64mm height rear 1995 300zx rotors work on the front and back of the car?

These are the specs I got for the 300zx (turbo and non):

fronts 279.9mm diameter, height 53.8 mm

rear 297mm diameter, height 64 mm.

Couldnt I just get 4 rears if the ones on the skyline are the same all the way around?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
i have moved the thread mate as you were on a thread 3 years old!!
anyway your best pming a trader regarding discs mate and no front and rear discs are MASSIVELY differant so u cant just get rears and fit them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh I thought this would be better than starting a new thread sorry. Which trader should I look at for brakes? The reason I am trying to find something comparable in the 300zx is that it would make it much easier to buy something in the US rather than buying from overseas.

If someone could give me the exact dimensions of the rotors (both height and diameter) and the pad sizes this would make it much easier. I see the 296 but is that for all the way around? What height do they need to be? Can I have any variation of like a mm or so or is that not acceptable?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
front disks on a r33 gtst are 296 i think

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
dont worry mate thats what we are here for if you look through some threads below this one there are a couple about disc sizes and im running front discs 2mm wider than should be with no problem buddy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about if the diamater is larger by a 1mm? If that will work then wouldn't the rear rotors and pads from the 300zx work on the rear of the skyline?

I guess if I need to I will take off some wheels and start measuring things but figured someone would have the exact dimensions all the around for everything. Thanks for the help and sorry about posting in the old thread haha.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
mad hatta try apex ive just orderd front + rear pads at a good price.thers also disc prices on the thread

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
look in traders section.apex performance.brake pads front + rear

·
Autobahn Burner
1,223 Posts
Hey man, 300zx pads are identical front and back!
rear rotors are also identical!
Front rotors on the z are smaller but fit in all other respects.
I bought 300zx front calipers which bolt straight on and now use the a full set of
300z drilled and slotted discs with Kevlar pads with no noticeable loss of braking power. Iff you have a bit more cash, buy 350 z front discs and calipers again a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gman- What years do I need to be looking at in the 300ZX and 350Z? If the 300zx front rotors are smaller will the calipers work with the rotors and brake pads?

Are the rotors and brake pads the same size all around on the skyline GTS-T?

Theoretically I could get rear rotors and brake pads off the 300ZX and then get 350Z rotots and pads up front? Again what years am I looking at for the 350Z?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
OK, here goes, in summary:

The rears from the 300ZX are identical to the R33GTST rears -297 x 63 x 18 x 68 x 5 stud.

The fronts from the R34 Non turbo (8/98>) are the same as the R33 fronts:
296mm (Dia) x 53.75 overall depth x 30mm disc thickness.

No you can't bodge around with a few MM difference unless you know exactly what you are doing, and what the results will be.

Pads: simply order the correct pads to go with the discs.

Aitch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So is there an american vehicle that matches up exactly with the front rotors of the R33 skyline? If so what make and year?

R34 rotors will be just as hard for me to find as R33 rotors haha. Thank you for the dimensions though.

What does the 18 x 68 refer to in the first dimensions you listed? Also will the 300zx rotors I was quoted on not work as the height of these rotors are off by 1 mm of what you posted and they were for a 1995 300ZX:

diameter - 297mm height - 64 mm

found here:

http://brakeperformance.com/site/br..._id=20884&cPath=1_835_20869_20881_20884_20885

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The 296mm is the diameter of the rotor, this is measured from one side to the other across the largest parameter, measure across the back of the disc. The 63 is the overall depth or height, from the front mounting face of the disc (the smaller diameter bit with the stud holes in) to the back of the disc. So, looking at it edge on the distance from left to right or vice versa.

The 18 is the combined thickness of the two outer discs areas in contact with the pad, so measure across the edge of the contact area. This is the part composed of the two larger two sections in the case of fronts, with an air gap between them, measure the total combined thicknes of the two sections and the gap between.

68 is the size in mm of the centre locating hole, and 5 the number of stud holes, self explanetary I hope.

The thickness of the disc contact area is critical, thinner discs will simply distort and crack, not to mention the pistons travelling far enough to come out of the caliper. It's possible to use discs 1mm or so thicker but thinner is a huge risk.

I suggest that for comparison of discs to assist in identifying alternatives you visit this site, as it's impossible for anyone to just know if one of few million USA motors uses the same size discs!

This site lists brakes (F for front and R for rear) for models worldwide, not necessarily every model but a lot! The catalogues are downloadable making comparison simpler.

www.dba.com.au

Aitch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks for the help. Are the dimensions for the size of the center locating hole not necessary to know on the front?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts