Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got caught by a mobile camara van just befor xmas

main road between 2 towns a 40 mph limit

i was overtaking a car and one of those little red road sweaping vans with its orange flashing light on. didnt see the camera van till to late and i was recorded at 66mph

ive allready had the first letter and sent that back sying i was driving.

i rang up today as i still havnt head back from them and was told 66mph in a 40mph is the exact point where its a go to court job ...

so any idea what to expect?

short ban maybe? fine size?

any point in pleading mitigating sercumstances? i.e. overtaking an obviously slow moving hazard as quickliy and safely as possible?

ideas please folks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive allready been told its going to court im just waiting for the date to come through..

i cant really say id loose my job as i work in a factory, and only live 500 yards from work..

but cheers for the reply mark.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers mark ...

hmm 5-6 points added to the 3 i allredy have sounds expensive come insurance renual time.

interesting site.. thanks again.

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
you are never allowed to break the limit but you can argue that while overtaking the car as it was doing 35 in a 40 he sped up to 40 so made you "have" to accelerate to avoid a dangerous situation therefore you "had" to break the speed limit :)

·
Seasoned Member
7,044 Posts
Hang on, i'm pretty sure you're allowed to break the limit if your overtaking (if its safe etc).

Stuck in my mind from when i passed my test.
same as what i was told by a driving examiner, but its a grey area
you can increase speed to overtake quickly and safely the slow back down to the correct speed limit, but there is a fine line as to what speed is safe and not, that is down to the discretion of the person who caught you or the judge

·
London stand up tall
2,440 Posts
Sorry to be a stick in the mud -
but you can argue till the cows come home on here... Has anyone here been in a court before? because I can tell you there is no argument there.... The woman behind the big book hears this stuff 40 times a day and doesnt give a rats ass if your standing there crying your eyes out because you cant get your kids to school....

Last time I was in court wasnt actually for me (woohoo!!)
My mate was going over the speed limit (similar to the above).... He stood there and said my company have written a statement to the court saying if I am unable to drive for any more than 3 months then I'll loose my job (that he had had for 8+ years)

She gave him a 6 month ban without blinking an eye lid

It'll be around 6 points and around £300 fine....

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,160 Posts
i got 4 points and a £270 fine not long ago for doing 86mph in a 60 mph zone ..same as you 26 mph over the limit althou different limit zone

but roads were quiet and dry etc

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
should i be mature here, or petty and childish??

Oh im immature and petty

But im sure i remember being preached the gospel according to labrat when i inadvertantely broke the speed limit?? now i was stupid and that sort of behaviour was bad for the owners and the forum and i should keep it for the race track...........like you did!!

lol

tut tut, clearly you arent perfect after all, and of course i never got caught

thank you and goodnight

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
i cant see how you can overtake safely without speed inf the vehicle your overtaking is doing lets say 5mph below the speed limit.

If the vehicle was travelling at 35mph and you need to overtake below 40 mph the length of road needed would be massive. Surely dangerous.

However is there a need to get to 60+mph when overtaking a vehicle doing maybe 35mph? Alot of cars would struggle to get to that speed but then again you can be past and out the way faster and safer in my opinion by going faster.

Maybe we need a law that states that you can go 20% faster than the limit when over taking?

Anyway, do they have a picture of you over taking a vehicle or just your speed?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the replys folks, even convert , yep i guess i had that comming :0)

i doubt id be able to claim the vehical i was overking sped up as i was going pst as it was one of those silly little red road sweepers (anyone happen to know the top speed of thoses things?) and behind that was a woman in a little 106 who ws just tagging along behind. together they made a very slow moving but long obstical.. i saw my chance to get past and went for it.

im sure the sweeper will be in the photo as id have just got past it asuming they used the max speed i acheaved then id have been at the end of my overtaking manouver.

thanks again for all replys..

p.s. has anyone ever writen or had one writen for them a letter of mittigation?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
as in does it have speed camera signs up peter? if thats what you mean then yes..

its the main road into my town, but they usually wait on the oposit side of the road catching people going down the hill, on this day for the first time ever that ive seen they were halfway up the hill catching the drivers coming uphill.

rather anoyingly my boss was a few mins in front of me and did the same, but noticed the van had just arived and the cop was just getting set up opening the door ect..

so i spent the shift half hopping that they might not have been up and running when i went past..

obviously they were lol

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.