Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know what car alarms all of you are using? im thinking of going with a clifford 650 or the something similar maybe a toad! need one pretty quick for my insurance policy to be valid! any suggestions? regards russell

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mate of mine had a Toad. In fact he got it of Ebay from a reputable seller at a good price. Another mate has a Clifford and only has good things to say. I reckon you should speak to your insurers and see if they give you more discount for a particular system and see if it falls within your budget.

TT

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
I had a toad ai606 fitted to my last car and a Cobra 8188 fitted to my Skyline. Both are Cat 1 approved alarm/immobilisers but i have to say i preferred the Toad one .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats cool! im looking at the clifford viper and clifford 650 at the moment! not sure which is better tho?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now thinking of going with the toad! anyone know any good sellers/ fitters in the essex area? regards russell

·
Registered
457 Posts
DO NOT GET A CLIFFORD! my mate had one on his old punto and i had one on my corrado and they were both terrible. would sometimes come back to the car to find it had unlocked itself, and i made the mistake of having proximity sensors, which went off bloody constantly. they are notoriously dodgy. my mate paid £600 or so for his alarm system, and one night armed it as usual and went to bed. he woke up in the morning to find the car totally unlocked and his £400 stereo gone. i came back to find mine unlocked a few times.
id say get a viper as thats what my mates just had put on his golf and its fantastic! he has the one that comes with a little pager thing and it tells you if your car is being tampered with. he got the whole thing fitted for £350 which is way below clifford prices too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd second that I had a Clifford a few years back on a VTI Civic and it was terrible. Went off for no reason, proximity sensors didn't work, would sometimes lock the doors on ignition and other's it wouldn't and finally the siren went on it! I've got a CAT 1 autowatch alarm on my skyline, it seem's pretty good. Cost me £250 fitted with full enclosure system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks fella's heard alot of bad things about clifford! they make the viper aswell i've been told?

·
South East Area Rep
337 Posts
DONT GET THE CLIFFORD!!!!
I had cliffords on a few of my cars they aint worth the money fella always go wrong and have a tendency to lock your keys in the car if you leave them in there etc etc list could go on!

I had a toad immobiliser fitted on my old runabout no probs as yet but got a sigma cat1 on the skyline never any problems and purely as a mate of mine has always gone for autowatch after trying many different alarms.

Apparently there the same company,lot cheaper than clifford too.

A

·
0 Posts
I have a long trade experience, I agree, Cliffords seem like a good idea, I even had 1 on my old merc.
Random is not a random enough word to describe their operation, intermitant, mind of it's own etc. etc.
Avoid like the plauge.
IMHO.
Andy.

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Toad ai606 for me too. Never had any problems except for when i left the lights on one night and the battery died causing the whole street to wake up while i frantically jumped it!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Alarms

I had a Toad On my beemer sport only ever had one prob battery was flat mate jump started it sent a surge through the alarm and F****D it, good old lifetime warranty though :) Had a clifford in my Skyline same story here came back several times to find it un-locked they swapped the unit and never had another prob with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
decided to go with the viper with the little pager! being fitted 2moro heard good things about them so i'll give em ago! will let you know my thoughts after its fitted!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have had Toads and Cliffords on all my cars.

I stick mainly with Cliffords now. Make sure you get it installed by a good installer, as most problems with alarms are because of incorrect/lazy installation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Johnser said:
I stick mainly with Cliffords now. Make sure you get it installed by a good installer, as most problems with alarms are because of incorrect/lazy installation.
I agree. I've had cliffords in all my cars and have never had any problems.

I have been told that proximity sensors need setting up though as they tend to be a bit sensitive out of the box. It seems that when most people install the alarms they don't bother adjusting it, they just pop it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts