Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right folks need your help and advice.

Currently my R34 has a 2.0 n/a rear diff and I am wanting to upgrade it to something more suitable.

For example if I somehow manage to half beach my car (one rear wheel in the air) one wheel will spin all day long and is quite annoying. Somedays I have to get out my car and push it somewhere so that its on level ground.
2nd example, when trying to launch I notice all the power goes to one rear wheel and I leave a 1 on the road rather then an 11. (Passenger side rear wheel usually)
3rd example, when on track if trying to accelerate quickly out of a tight bend I can feel and here one wheel fighting for traction.

My choices are:
1) swap it for a 1.5way LSD from a 33 gtst manual
2) swap it for a 1.5 way LSD from a 33 gtst automatic (supposedly better for accleration)
3) swap it for a 2 way diff.

At the minute I am looking at choice 2) as I think 3) would be overkill and 1) won't help as much as 2) will at pod!

Can anyone advise me or agree with me :)

·
12,294 Posts
You could fit a gtst diff to sort it out, as the majority of them have a viscous LSD anyway, cheap too, I just landed me an auto diff for just 50 quid!

Depends on what final drive you want though, do you know the ratio of your current diff? A manual gtst diff is 4.1:1, an auto is 4.3:1. I've got a feeling your diff will already be 4.3:1, so you'd need an auto gtst diff to keep the same acceleration you have now. If you fit a manual one, your acceleration will be a bit lower but your top end would increase a little. Don't worry too much about quarter mile stuff though, these cars are dogshit off the line anyway!

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
When you were out with me @ Anglesea Id just fitted the 2 way so that what that feels like - a few track days later I had it mastered in terms of braking and cornering - was sweet I think everyones reaction to 2 ways is overkill (ditch finder etc etc) mine was fine in the rain and awesome in the dry, a 1.5 may be the best compromise for what you want (road and track) but wouldnt discount a 2 way - there just noisy when your going slow or off the throttle

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another factor to take into considerarion is that a lot of the standard viscous diffs will be worn and need reshimming. If one wheeling really bothers you get a mechanical diff.

·
12,294 Posts
I think it was only an option of non turbo's, but a non turbo auto diff isn't 4.3:1 anyway. In the description it states it's a 3.5:1 instead, meaning your gearing would be way longer than the standard manual gtst diff!

The diff I have has a little sticker on it stating that it has a viscous LSD, but even if that sticker was missing, you can rotate one of the side flanges and see if the other rotates the same direction.

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
Ahh damn I could have sent you a auto non abs LSD diff. I sent it to the scappers last week.

Also if you have some spare cash to throw at it you could get some nismo internals for your current diff. This is what I am doing next year as soon as I know how much and the gearing I will let you know.

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
Do they have a phone number of will they have disassembled it already? Think that would have been perfect!
Haha no mate first of all its in Germany secondly it's more than likely been melted down.

Sorry

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
2 ways are great for track work and drifting but i'd never have one on the road... noisey and can catch you out.

I'd go for a stock GTST one if it's a daily drive, yes the auto gets you more acerlleration but you loose mpg on long runs

·
NORTHERN IRELAND AREA REP
8,660 Posts
I have cusco 1.5 and its noisy also when driving slow. Stammers when moving off etc. but it never misses or messes about.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
His current diff has the same ratio as the auto one, so it won't make any difference in his case other than the addition of an LSD.
This might sound a daft question and show how much I know but could I buy a manual rear diff and swap my diff gears into it? Manual ones seem to always be available.

Ads, the day I start worrying about MPG is the day I start looking to sell ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts