Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping i'm just being paranoid but i have a horrible feeling something is amiss with my turbo. Went out along the dual carriageway this evening and accelerating out from behind a numpty doing 55 noticed a new sound around mid boost (0.5-0.7 ish), like a sort of vibrating whiny noise. Kinda hard to explain through the medium of a keyboard :)
It pulls fine and only other difference i could note was it maybe didn't reach what it usually gets too, around 0.8, although this could have been my nervousness and not totally caning it.
Will be pulling it off to examine it and have won a replacement on ebay tonight so will find out in due course but wondered if someone could tell me in the meantime if what i'm poorly describing sounds like it's on its way out or just paranoia. Do they fail over time or is usually just a case of when its dying, its dead? :cheers:

·
Registered
441 Posts
funny that i heard a strange whiney tinted like whistle noise last week from mine but its stopped.....you've got me worried now:eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
dont know about sound mate but when the one on my old silvia went pop it blew blue smoke out all over the shop and serious amounts of it, do you usually warm up and cool down? dont know if it helps or not but i usually do it and havent had any problems,

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Was your engine warmed up? my turbo makes a slight whining sound for the first couple of mins but after 5 mins its fine. I hope thats normal lol never really thought about it till now, and yeah I generally take it under 3Krpm for the first 10 mins or so if I can resit ;)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
A screaming tub is a dying tub...... Thats what ive always thought :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had one of my turbos blow up last week. A few days before it went I noticed a loss a power, not much though. I think maybe one of the ceramic wheels was cracked. Then I was just driving up a hill and all of a sudden the smell of burning oil then no turbos. It didn't make any whining sounds before it happened. I found pieces of the fins in my down-pipe.

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, will just have to have a look i guess. Was all warmed up before i took it out. I now have a choice of 2 to replace it with though :)

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i have a 32 one and a 33 one on ther way to me so don't think i really need 3rd! :)

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So tonight i removed the turbo - bit of a faff on trying to reach certain nuts and one of the dump pipe bolts sheared off but was still quite happy with myself coming in at 1+1/2 hours under the time it gave in the guide in FAQs with the last hour in darkness working by headtorch :)

Not convinced that it was the turbo that was making a noise now. There is a small amount of play in and out but think this is ok? Also a barely perceptable amount of movement side to side but don't reckon it was in any danger of blowing up. Good excuse to stick a 33 item back in its place though!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
turbo is dead

:cheers: gordon brown and the labour party:Uzi: :Uzi: :sorry: :Uzi: :dogpile: :uy: :apuke:

think about the tax on v power:screwy: :screwy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts