Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im building a track car with the aim of around 700+bhp, ive been attending track days and watching the action at some small race events at mallory park, especially the boxing day plumb pudding races. ive spoke to a couple of competitors and it is just for fun your not going to be the next big signing by martin whitmarsh for mclaren!! im going to apply for my license but was wondering how specc'd the car has to be safety wise to compete in like a tin tops kinda meet? the boxing day event had a mixture of anything from modded cossies against early shaped minis, a jag xjs, porches and lotus 7's etc!!! i know you need fire extinguisher, batt cut off, fuel cut off, roll cage,harness', buckets etc but what has to be 'approoved' or within a certain date for this kind of racing? any help much appreciated please or even websites i could look at. thanks :)

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
Hi im building a track car with the aim of around 700+bhp, ive been attending track days and watching the action at some small race events at mallory park, especially the boxing day plumb pudding races. ive spoke to a couple of competitors and it is just for fun your not going to be the next big signing by martin whitmarsh for mclaren!! im going to apply for my license but was wondering how specc'd the car has to be safety wise to compete in like a tin tops kinda meet? the boxing day event had a mixture of anything from modded cossies against early shaped minis, a jag xjs, porches and lotus 7's etc!!! i know you need fire extinguisher, batt cut off, fuel cut off, roll cage,harness', buckets etc but what has to be 'approoved' or within a certain date for this kind of racing? any help much appreciated please or even websites i could look at. thanks :)
talk to the organisers of the events :) find out if the series is FIA/MSA approved. They probably will be. In this case you will need a CDS mandrel bent Rollcage. Each series will state different specs on the cage (how many points etc) thickness is sometimes specced too. you can't have some randomer doing the install either. you need someone who knows what they are doing

If it's FIA then you will need seats that are in date. Allot of rally guys get pissed at this because it's not like they go off if not kept in the firdge! but still

youll need internal and external eletrical and fuel cut offs and on the outside they need to be in a set place (usually passenger side and under the screen) stickers need to be under them and a certian size... fire extinguisher needs to be plumbed in and approved, it will need to have jets pointing in certain places. For the rally cars we usually put 2 at the driver, 2 at the passenger and 2 in the engine bay. but it depends on the regs for that series.

Like I say talk to the organisers of the event to work out what you need :) but at the very least get the cage full FIA spec and installed properly (for safety if nothing else) the MSA regs book will help :) this is a book full of specs for motorsport and shows you how to fit seats and harnesses properly.

It all sounds allot more complicated than it is! you'd be suprised how quickly you will know what you need :) but you need the mentality of "I WILL do this right" You can't get away with bodges (they'll be picked up in scrutineering) and its not something to take on yourself if all you can do is make a "bangin sound system", wire up some LEDs and make a body kit ;) lol this isn't boy racer stuff for chavs, this is man style tuneing :D

if you want to talk to some people who can do all the work and help you with advice then i can put you in touch with the right people (certainly for the roll cage)

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
Deep pockets :)

As adam says find out if its fia/msa regulated in which case race licence 200 quid plus yearly renewal fee and docs medical all the gear u will weat needs to b of a certain quality and so on

Go to the msa website and read through their blue book which details all the regs standards expected etc and the event organisers did all competetors have roll cages bucket seats etc if so there are probably mandatory so probaby means full msa motorsport regs are to be adhered to

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok guys thanks for your advice, i know a company that do fia approoved cages and installation. the cars competing boxing day didnt seem that specced! im a bit more than neons and sounds mate im a fully qualified mechanic and i work for a big brand on prototype development! ive made my own twin feed fuel systems,top feed fuel rails, inlet plenums as well as suspension setup.
i ask whats what as i can get a lot of things from work, like ive built my own alloy fuel cell for the boot with twin 310lph pumps, my own twin fed top feed fuel rail, ive made my own i/cooler and spray bar, oil cooler system etc but would these be 'ok' to use as ive done them? if not then i'll have to leave the competing and jus do track days! as the fun of this is the building of the car for me!!

Im not sure of the series as it was a mixture of all sorts i reckon cobled together to get a couple of grids for the days events but if people can point me in the right direction thatd be great regarding websites of meets/classes etc

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
ok guys thanks for your advice, i know a company that do fia approoved cges and installation. the cars competing oxing day didnt seem that specced! im a bit more than neons and sounds mate im a fully qualified mechanic and i work for a big brand on prototype development! ive made my own twin feed fuel systems,top feed fuel rails, inlet plenums as well as suspension setup.
i ask whats what as i can get a lot of things from work, like ive built my own alloy fuel cell for the boot with twin 310lph pumps, my own twin fed top feed fuel rail but would these be 'ok' to use? if not then i'll have to leave the competing and jus do track days! as the fun of this is the building of the car for me!!

Im not sure of the series as it was a mixture of all sorts i reckon cobled together to get a couple of grids for the days events but if people can point me in the right direction thatd be great regarding websites of meets/classes etc
I was prepping for TimeAttack and went to a few of the thunder saloon events last year so got an idea for whats needed and its a lot - your best contacing the event organisers directly and see what classes they have and what regs sit against each class - for instance Club class and Pro class in TimeAttack had different regulations with club class being the more relaxed of the two - too relaxed in my opinion as they didnt require a roll cage - thunder saloon seems to require full FIA regs as thats bumper to bumper racing

as I said read throught he MSA blue book to get an idea of what you will need to do - linky below - good luck :bigthumb:

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=1122

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
again thanks i'll have a look at that link now. wow no roll cage...i thought that would be a must in any kind of track class!!!

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I run in the Dutch time attack, regs are a lot lower and easier on the pocket plus entrance fees are a lot lot lower.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive managed to track down one of the competitors and mailed them to see whats what. i'll see if they get back to me! thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts