Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back, I started to put my thoughts about importing a Skyline finally into action. The 1996 R33 was it for me and 2021 is right around the corner! The time has come and I'm actually working with a broker and they're placing a bid on a 1996 GTS25T right now. Won't know the outcome for a few hours...

I'd like to gather this community's thoughts on your experience with insuring Skylines. I insure through USAA for all of my other vehicles. I do intend to use the R33 as my daily driver. I will be calling USAA in the morning to discuss with them but I'm not sure if they insure at agreed value.

Please share your experience. Thank you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Had the same problem last year. no insurance company would do it and the ones that would only saw it as a 93 Nissan. I got hagerty insurance. They put a value on the car. And they know what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I get mugged-off. I pay approx. 1.5k$ in JPN p/yr. Quite a few companies I reached out to wouldn't provide fully comprehensive cover.

·
Registered
89 Skyline GTST Type M
6 Posts
Had the same problem last year. no insurance company would do it and the ones that would only saw it as a 93 Nissan. I got hagerty insurance. They put a value on the car. And they know what it is.

I second Hagerty, I called 3 insurance companies, only 2 of which offered me coverage. Progressive quoted I believe around $350/month? And State Farm said $405/month 🙃. American Family couldn't even provide coverage on it because the vin is wacky (not USDM) either lol. Hagerty was the best option for sure with their no-haggle state the value of the car so you can pretty much value it at what you please. Also, if you do go through them, they'll ask if you car is a tuner. Say no! Their definition of tuner means if it has an extensive amount of audio equipment in it that would need to be covered, for whatever reason, it costs more lol.

Hagerty FTW

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you pay a premium for JDM imports or are the prices equivalent to similar powered USDM cars?

Here in the UK the main stream insurers often don't want to know but we have a lot of smaller brokers who are happy to help and act as middlemen to the insurance underwriters, so our prices are very reasonable. My wife pays ~£340 per annum for her 2018 Nissan Micra, I pay ~£400 per annum for my 2000 ER34 GTT(y)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm paying under $70 a month full coverage for my skyline. They have a valve of what they think the car is worth in my case what I got it for 13k. I can put the valve higher if I want just means I'll have to pay more. That just the one company hagerty. Other companies will insure it but just see it was a 93 Nissan and not pay out if something was to happen

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used Hagerty when I first got my R32. Then, because I purchased another vehicle, I starting looking around more. I found that NCM Insurance Agency (through the National Corvette Museum) was a GREAT insurance broker to work with. They insured my R32 and my C6 Z06 Corvette through American Modern with excellent agreed upon values. In fact, to insure my R32 and Z06 through NCM Insurance, I pay nearly half of what I paid to insure only the R32 through Hagerty's.

I don't use the R32 as a daily driver, but the mileage plan is not restrictive for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, thought I’d chime in. I recently got insurance through State Farm. They asked me to value it and based my rates off that. I was skeptical that I would be able to keep the coverage after they submitted it to the main office. To my surprise though only needed me to verify the vin and asked for a pic on the vin plate. Overall a much easier experience than I ever could have imagined. Also registering it was quite a bit easier than I expected!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up my 89 Skyline GTR, insured it through the company I work for, Condon Skelly. My premium for the car in state of DE is like $495/Year.

Hagerty is our competitor, but I don't know how our rates compare.
Our 3 collector car insurance subsidiaries are American Collector's Insurance, Condon Skelly, and Heacock Classic.

Give us a call if you're looking for a better rate.

·
Registered
1993 R33 GTS25T
6 Posts
I insured mine through my regular carrier, State Farm, and have full coverage at $75 a month. I bumped up to an agreed value of approximately what I paid for the car (ECR33). The process was just as easy as adding any other car to my policy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the super long delay responding. The R33 I was after through auction fell through but patience paid off and found another great car. White 1996 GTS25T. It's en route to port in Georgia and plan is for me to pick it up in May.

I was able to insure through USAA. $67/month for full coverage. Not DD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts