Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think Nissan recommended 5w30. You'll probably find most people using 5w40 on standard engines - Silkolene Pro S being a popular choice.

0w40 in mine, but I'm gonna go a bit thicker. Just make sure it's fully synth.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Depends entirely on your setup, power, application, expected temperatures, etc. etc. etc.
Loads on here by Oilman (read up on viscosity and temperature), loads on SAU, loads on the Internet etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
engine oil - Old theme as world :p
everything becouse of many choices, brands, opinions....

me now: valvoline VR1 Racing 5w50

will test >>> MILLERS OILS MOTORSPORT CFS 5w-40

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ask yourself questions like, what do I generally do with my car? If the answer is rarely track it, or drive it hard (which is nigh on impossible on British roads) then anything above 5-40, or even better the recommended Nissan 7.5-30 is probably a waste of time and only increasing engine drag and wear. 15-50W is like glue at normal operating temperatures.

Oilman posted this up once.

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84761&highlight=oil+viscosity

Note that 10-50W requires some serious temperature to get to a sensible viscosity. If you track your car then you may well need this weight of oil, though you'll only really know if you have an accurate oil temperature reading. Other factors like how efficient your cooling is, whether you run an oil cooler, how that is configured if you do, all make a difference. Modern oils are so good you could probably track a healthy well set up RB25 on 0-30W without any excessive wear, especially if you change it as frequently as most people on here.

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's what I figured. Completely standard engine, and the previous owner never took it about 5000rpm, yet it's got 15w50 silkolene pro R in it. No bloody wonder it's tapping while cold, I just hope it's not caused any damage. So is it generally agreed that 5w40 should be used for RB25DET's with stock internals? Just want a definite answer before I buy some.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
That's what I figured. Completely standard engine, and the previous owner never took it about 5000rpm, yet it's got 15w50 silkolene pro R in it. No bloody wonder it's tapping while cold, I just hope it's not caused any damage. So is it generally agreed that 5w40 should be used for RB25DET's with stock internals? Just want a definite answer before I buy some.
Yes use 5w40

·
Love that car:)
14 Posts
Sorry if my question seems stupid to some of you guys but i have buyed an r33 before one week,it has a lot of moods and i have dynoed it on a Mustang 390 hp.It has a garret gt3540r turbo,greddy intake,hks fcon and much more.i drive it ocassionaly once or twice a week,but i use to push it (because for that i have buyed it:))it works at 14 psi.What kind of oil should i use?i have been told 10W40 or 10w60 would be indicated.Note that i leave in a country with a hot climate.At this time temps are arround 20 celsius and in the summer they go arround 40-43:(.
thanks for your answers

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Holy thread revival LOL!
You will be fine on a 10W40 fella.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Full sythetic is a must,right?
I have never used a fully snthetic in any of my high BHP cars always semi synth.
But if you see very high ambient temps it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Okay, cheers. Now just to find an oil filter and sump washer, my local Nissan stealership can't even get parts for imports... :disappointed:
sump washer - nissan patrol ones are the same pal.

if your still struggling my local high st does em i'll pick up a couple of packs for you and wing em your way.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
btw good to see someone else besides andy42 and myself who have regularly used semi synth - with regular oil changes it should be just fine.

I run mine on fully synth 5w/40 with it having a ball bearing turbo top mount and being close to 500bhp. However alot of 5w/40 that costs £60 for 5L which is just daft. I geeked up on the tech specs of various oils and the one i use now is literally half that price and is barely one or two degrees of difference on most of the stats so i've run with that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts